Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Help needed with interesting key..

Added this one to the collection recently, 2.1/4 inches long, steel/iron construction with a brass inscribed inlay, "Kingsey Gate" and on other side "No.6". I suspect from inscription it is a key for a gate, but was wondering how old it may be? The style of engraved lettering would suspect it to be around 1780-1820. Kingsey is a small village in rural Buckinghamshire not far from me. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0428.jpg   IMG_0445.jpg  

I would concur with your date, late Georgian / Early Victorian. Any large private estates near Kingsley ? (I used to live in South Bucks but Kingsley doesn't ring any bells)

Kingsey is around 4 miles east of Thame, 8 miles south of Aylesbury.
    Wiki found this...
    Tythrop Park is a Grade I–listed 17th-century manor house, set in 51 acres (20.6 ha) of parkland, located in Kingsey, Buckinghamshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by oldlock View Post
    I would concur with your date, late Georgian / Early Victorian. Any large private estates near Kingsley ? (I used to live in South Bucks but Kingsley doesn't ring any bells)

Time to go for a little walk around the perimeter and keep your fingers crossed...but if the lock mysteriously turns up next week in your hands we WILL be suspicious :-)

LOL... no chance of that! I took the short drive yesterday as I was in the area, the main gate is an electronic entry system, and the rear "trademans entrance" has no gate to speak of. Wiki says the whol place was renovated in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    Time to go for a little walk around the perimeter and keep your fingers crossed...but if the lock mysteriously turns up next week in your hands we WILL be suspicious :-)

Maybe there was a gate with a mechanical lock in the past?
    Might be worth some research Scott

Thread Information