Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Open safe but no combination

Hello. i have a chance to buy a Dominion safe with wheels. I believe it is fairly old. The problem is that it is open but the owner has forgoten and lost the combination to it. There is a 5 digit number on the handle. Would this help with aquireing the combination or do i have to get a locksmith to get it for me?

If the door is open then it should be reasonably easy to take the cover off the back to get to the back of the combination lock workings.

Someone on here will then be able to guide you through the process of reading the combination and probably then setting a new one as well.

Nothing more to add, should be easy to do for a professional when the safe is open already.

Default open safe but no combination

Thank you for your replies.(Danke) Now is there someone who does what to do when the back cover is removed, and would be able to guide me through it?

As one who makes his living doing what you are asking, I have some thoughts on your request. How nmuch are paying for the safe? A combination lock is type of puzzle. Not obvious but not complex. After you buy the safe post pictures. Doug

Default open safe no combo.

What does it matter how much the safe costs? The back of the door has nine fasteners securing the cover on. I dont have the safe yet so cant take pics. Thanks for the help though.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfaj55 View Post
    What does it matter how much the safe costs?
    Because there is always a possibility (albeit fairly minute) that you are buying a scrap metal box.

I once paid £10 for a smallish (modern) safe on the basis that if I could not repair the door and replace the lock, I could still weigh it in as scrap and recoup my basic costs.

Thanks for your concern. I have a knowledge of the history of this safe and knew the previou owners twice removed. It is a working operational safe.

Default Old dominion safe with no combo

I finally received my dominion safe with the door open but locked, with no combination. I now have the back cover of the door off, and am able to get the wheels all to line up and able to unlock the door,(after much tinkering) but can not change the combination with the change instructions that came with the safe. I have the key and instructions but cant set a new combo. Can anybody give me some help?

Hello,

Pictures of the dial, lock case and inside would help to identify it and give you the correct instructions. Is it a 3 wheel or 4 wheel lock?

Thread Information