Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Yes it does go without saying you need the right change key for the lock!

After you've correctly aligned the wheels and you carefully insert the key, look carefully- there is a 'wing' like projection on the key and a gap or wasted section just behind it- the key should go in so you see the wing just disappear into the cover and the wasted part should be aligned and seated perfectly in the hole in the cover. The hole then acts as the guide for the key to pivot as you turn it 90 degrees, and the wing acts as a stop inside once turned. With a 3 wheel key the whole lot will disappear behind the cover and prevent the key turning, and serious damage is the result if it's forced. I have a change key in my collection with 3 full twists from a military base where the guy was having a bit of trouble and decided pliers were the answer... no longer recognizable as a change key, but it would make a good corkscrew for removing wine corks...

I haven't tried this, but is it possible to insert a 3-wheel key into a 4-wheel lock just enough to clear the wing and turn it the usual 90 degrees? In this case would it unlock 3 of the 4 wheels (creating a very confusing situation)? A picture of the corkscrew-key would be entertaining!

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    I haven't tried this, but is it possible to insert a 3-wheel key into a 4-wheel lock just enough to clear the wing and turn it the usual 90 degrees? In this case would it unlock 3 of the 4 wheels (creating a very confusing situation)? A picture of the corkscrew-key would be entertaining!
    Are we actually sure he has a 4 wheel lock? Or, is it a lock with three combination wheels and one drive wheel?
    BBE.

Default open safe no combo

hey thank you all for the help. I have not yet re-attempted the combo change. I am tied up this week and next. I will let all know what happens when I get the chance, so please keep watching this thread. I promise i will inform either way. Thank You All.

while you are lining up those wheels, start to the left. look at the number on the dial when the first one is in place. turn the other way (right) and do it again. keep repeating until the dial stops turning. if the lock does not open yet, repeat the process, but this time count the times the dial turns until each number comes up as it aligns, then put the back, back on the lock and repeat the numbers in the proper count of turns. The lock will open. that's your combination.

Default open safe no combo

Thanks for the information. I will try that this week. I have just been to busy to get to it. I will get back with a definitive answer by Friday 25th July.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Smith View Post
    while you are lining up those wheels, start to the left.
    If it's truly a four-wheel lock, wouldn't you start to the right?

You sure would. I just don't believe its a four wheel combination.

Looking back at the original photos of the lock I'd tend to agree it looks like a 3-wheel lock. In that case, here are the appropriate operation and installation documents:

630-358_multi_3wheel.pdf 630-738_3-wheel_install.pdf

Thread Information