Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Metal Strip "Spring" Needed?

Hey folks,

I live in a house that was built in 1844, and we have a couple of old locks. Yesterday, I opened my closet, but the latch would not spring back. So I took it apart and I found a whole lot of rust, dust, and pieces of broken metal. From what I can gather, a long, thin piece of flexible metal was used as a spring. I figure it's impossible to find the exact part, so what can I do to make this work again? Thanks...

- SungClick image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-11-29 11.14.56.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	669.2 KB 
ID:	10004

Quote Originally Posted by sjwoo View Post
    Hey folks,
    I figure it's impossible to find the exact part, so what can I do to make this work again? Thanks...- Sung
    Locksmith supply houses sell flat spring steel assortments like ESP Lock Products FSA-50, see thumbnail; if you just need a couple pieces they could be purchased from a retail locksmith.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 23059.jpg  

Could try the spring steel in a window wiper blade.

Thanks, folks -- after some more digging, I also saw somewhere (it might have been here!) that the tines from an old metal rake would also work. Unfortunately I threw mine out a little while ago, so I'll see what I can do. The windshield wiper idea is great, too. Thank you!

- Sung

Thread Information