Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Here is another shot of the push pins and some device connected to the time lock...

Quote Originally Posted by VaultDoors View Post
    In the round vault door schematic above it shows slotted circles on the surface of each bolt. Could those be large screws that connect the bolts to the circular plate (with diagonal slots) as mentioned in MaxVaultage's post above?
    Yes- the slotted screws are numbered 7 on the drawing- the one around centre right of the drawing has the corresponding pointer line erased from the sketch, but there's a few other 7's pointing clearly to the slotted screws. These screws are more than likely retaining revolving pins or pins with revolving sleeves through the bolt- I would very much doubt that all the stationary (tightened) screws/bolts formed the bearings surfaces for the mating/moving parts by themselves.

Allowing the pins to roll or by fitting sleeves that are free to revolve is an age-old way around excessive friction as potentially here- instead of a rigid pin wanting to rub and 'bite' into the surface of the diagonal slot as it moves, the action of a pin or sleeve that's free to revolve produces a silky smooth 'rolling' action, which will remain smooth even without lubrication. I've 'rescued' many Tann bankers, Treasury and other safes by doing this- it's a lengthy modification but lasts forever- Tann's should have done it at the factory if they'd had any sense!

The drawing is for the one type of concealed boltwork I was referring to- the other has the pivoting 'L' shaped cams sliding each of the bolts out, instead of the diagonal slots and pins used here. I'm guessing it would take someone who actually worked on them to know which were used on which doors, as both types used the frame mounted controls and both types are completely concealed not giving any clues to which of the mechanisms is inside-
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 01-12-13 at 12:54 PM.

Just an interesting detail, One King West has 20 bolts, most round doors have 24. The Cleveland Fed's door has 16; I read somewhere they weigh about 400 pounds each.

OK, here is my "catalog" of vault locations: http://w3.uwyo.edu/~jimkirk/locations.html

Comments/corrections not only welcome, but requested. It may be a little cryptic in places, I didn't have public consumption in mind when I started. For example when I write "[Mosler xxx]" that refers to an official Mosler history published in 1999.

MOST impressive work Wylk!!!

How many hours/days did you invest in this if I may ask?

The Hibernia Bank Postcard from page 11 is in my possession and I can support you with a detailed scan! There is information on the vault door on the back of the card. The back of it was not shown on Ebay I suppose.

I have to read through this more in detail later as I did only browse through it quickly just now.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Weber View Post
    How many hours/days did you invest in this if I may ask?
    Quite a long time and with varying investments of effort. I was first interested in an old B&W image of the HSBC London bank's door perhaps 15 years ago but had trouble finding much more. As the world wide web grew it became easier. I'd guess most of the entries were discovered in the last 5-10 years.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	London Chatwood HSBC Midland 2b.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	10017

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Weber View Post
    The Hibernia Bank Postcard from page 11 is in my possession and I can support you with a detailed scan! There is information on the vault door on the back of the card. The back of it was not shown on Ebay I suppose.
    Many of the images in the document were reduced in size; in Word you can right-click and save them in their original size. I do have both sides of this postcard but only incuded the image side in the document. They are only about 600x375, so if a better scan comes my way, I'd certainly appreciate it! I often have many other images that did not make it into the document.

There you go wylk!

I have attached the pdf to this post. If you see imperfection while zooming it is because of the print quality and not the quality of the scan. You may also notice that the card was printed first and then coloured afterwards, which is quite interesting

Adrian
    Attached Files Attached Files

Wow. Just started to scan through it. Great job Jim!

That's one long list The last but one door- the former Bank of England Manchester is a Tann

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    OK, here is my "catalog" of vault locations: http://w3.uwyo.edu/~jimkirk/locations.html

Comments/corrections not only welcome, but requested. It may be a little cryptic in places, I didn't have public consumption in mind when I started. For example when I write "[Mosler xxx]" that refers to an official Mosler history published in 1999.
    What a fantastic resource! Thank you for sharing. I tabelized the first vault, see page 2.

Thread Information