Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Help with another antique key with inscription

Here is another "mystery key." Please can anyone help give me details on the possible age and use of this key? It is 9 1/2 inches and quite heavy. It has an inscription in an alphabet I don't recognize.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Your key looks like it's a modern reproduction. There's a lot of countries which continue to use basic and old fashioned techniques to produce 'old looking' items like jewellery, keys and artefacts aimed at tourists and export. Religious or celebratory inscriptions are common and even inscriptions resembling undecipherable hieroglyphics- which often turn out to be meaningless.

Looking at the bow (handle) of your key- it looks to still have the scale and flashing left from the casting process- this is normally removed from any casting as soon as it is removed from the moulds- on a genuine working key this would always be removed, cleaned up and polished afterwards- and in the unlikely event it was overlooked and left there originally, if it was genuinely old you wouldn't expect it because it would have long since broken down and worn away after years of use and wear.

The bit of the key also resembles those typically found on ornaments- not what you'd expect on a working key that's seen many years of use. Sorry about the bad news but I suspect the other key you posted with the figure is the same.

Seems the key looks like a vintage kind of style with designs and carving from ancient history. Looks elegant and Unique as well.

Thread Information