Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Antique Key with Human Figure and Inscription

Hello! Hope some of you can help shed information on this key. I bought it in Aleppo, Syria three years ago. It is 8 inches long, and has an inscription near the base. I don't know what material it is made of, but it might be bronze (???) because of its tinge and it is heavy. I am very curious about its approximate age and what doors it could have opened.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Very interesting key. It looks old to me but I'm certainly no expert in these matters. One thing that caught my eye... the finish appears to be a brass plating over iron - if that is indeed what it is it might give an indication of key's age. I'd love to know what the figure is holding over his head. At first, I thought perhaps Atlasa, holding the world. But there are protrusions extending from the sphere through his hands - so that theory didn't hold water. The bit looks similar to some cabinet bits I've seen but that is just a guess on my part.

Even if this key turns out to be modern, it is interesting nevertheless and makes an excellent conversation piece. If it were mine, I'd keep it and I'd try to get the writing on the shank translated. Any close school with a foreign languages department should be able to at least point you in the right direction. It might only be a makers mark, or a brand logo (e. g. "Marlboro") or it may have some religious significance.

for me this key looks as a modern tourist souvenir

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
    for me this key looks as a modern tourist souvenir
    I agree, the 'legs' under the bit and the bow kind of make it impossible to use as a working key. The inscription on the shank might be Greek but not the inscription on the bit. I don't think the sides of the bow are the figure's arms, unless he has two more besides the two folded in front of him. The casting that made it does resemble cast or malleable iron that has been plated. Checking with a magnet could confirm that. It would be a good conversation piece though, I wonder who it is supposed to depict.
    BBE.

Modern tourist reproduction is exactly what I thought and I replied by saying this to VMA25's other post- no-one else added to it though and never heard back on it
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 21-12-13 at 03:53 PM. Reason: got the username wrong

Default Antique Key with Human Figure and Inscription

Timof5stars wondered what was being held over the shoulders. I can't quite make it out, but I think it's most likely a lamb. In early Christian art of the Roman era, Jesus was often portrayed as a clean shaven "good shepherd." The figure on the key appears to be bearded. Also, the key is definately not from the Roman era. I agree with those who say it's probably modern and made to look old for the tourist trade. I also think the Lips people got "suckered" when they acquired the so-called Ptolemy key from Egypt (page 39 in Locks and Keys Throughout the Ages).

Functional key? Tourist souvenir? The facing fish bow is typical of many European keys from the 16th and 17th centuries. Possibly a gold wash over iron. Kinda doubt modern but could have been a 1800's souvenir. Doug

Seems like a modern tourist souvenir. Looks like the one my grandmother have.

Thread Information