Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default trying to remove a HHM yale dial...HELP PLEASE

Hi folks this is my first post and in my new found hobby I am looking for some help. I recently rescued an early 1900 (I think) HHM safe. I thought this would be a good starter safe to restore. I know that it's not a valuable safe but I couldn't let it be scraped. So far I have reset the combo and it works great. I want to remove the dial and ring to have them chromed after pulling it apart and removing the dial pin the dial is loose but dose not come off it pulls out about 1/8 in. but thats it. any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013-11-27_17-27-33_940.jpg   2013-11-27_17-30-17_822.jpg  

First off, DO NOT close the door and throw the bolts with the lock apart. It will lock up. To get the dial off, there is a loose plate which drops down into a groove cut into the dial spindle. This plate has to be raised to remove the dial spindle. It is for dial punching and pulling protection. Remove the round cast iron case to access and lift this plate. Doug

THANK YOU DOUG!!! the dial came off just as you said. its cool to find a forum you can actually get good information and help. cant wait to finnish this one and find my next one lol

Doug knows his way around with safes we all know that!

Well done Doug my friend
    Would be nice to see pictures of the complete safe!

Adrian

Thread Information