Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default The London Excelsior Safe company

Hi,
    A customer has asked me to help him date and old safe that he has, the brand is The London Excelsior Safe (pics are coming soon :oops: ) The door is about 10mm thick and it locks via a 6 lever lock that has the original keys that have the makers stamp (in fair condition) The paint work appears to be original (Dark green and gold scroll work) and there appears to be no rust and the hinges are in good condition. This is a nice and tidy little safe however other searches for dating and company history have been futile, if possible could anyone tell me when the London Excelsior Safe company existed (Approx) and weather they were quality manufactures or just cheap backyard jobs. I will attach pics of a plate off another safe but the same manufacturer, when I get better light i will take pics of the actual safe.

Thanks Tonkanick
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 26062007169.jpg  

Have you an image showing the safe hinges?
    I've had this issue before with regards aging a product by its hinge design. It's not written down, but with experience, we can get the safe pinned down quite accurately. Oldlock, may not agree here.... however.

If the safe has a serial number, poss stamped onto its body front facing above its door, there is an outside chance of one of us in the know being more precise.

Hope to hear from you.
    Regards

Russell
    Withy Grove (Leeds) Ltd
    Est 1850 & celebrating 160 years of Safe supply.

They were cheap ones I am afraid but fairly large distribution for a while.
    The crest is modelled on the City of London crest -but I doubt any bank ever bought one of their safes.

Thread Information