Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default British padlock, genuine of indian fake?

Hey guys,

there is a discussion on another forum about a British padlock. I myself am not sure whether this is genuine British or maybe one of those Indian look alike padlocks again. As I am not that experienced I will put it up for discussion on here

Here it is:
    http://i.imgur.com/M0X3omU.jpg
    And the ones in the bottom line:
    http://s679.photobucket.com/user/muf...bea54.jpg.html

The "Manufacture" is throwing me off on these ones and they look typical Indian like to me. The crude logo and the crude key. I have also never heard "Manufacture" before but it may be an old British version of that word?

No idea please help me in that matter!

Adrian

I'm no expert on fakes, but even so this is ringing alarm bells.

That key is just terrible - crudely pressed from mild steel sheet, and nothing but warding to offer any visible security.

Correct wording would have been "Of British Manufacture" but it's still cumbersome and odd. Lettering is also crude in places.

Certainly, I am no expert regarding fakes, but there are a few things that suggest to me that this lock may be British.

The stamped anchor symbols suggest the lock is for use in a marine environment & the fact that the lock appears to be brass (you can check with a magnet, which will not be attracted to brass) makes sense accordingly. Is the shackle made of brass?

Stamped sheet metal keys are not uncommonly encountered with similar locks of British origin, depending on their quality.

This thread about a lock in my collection (my username expired) is illustrative of the fact that some more cheaply made British locks can be misidentified as being from India or Pakistan.
    http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...-lever-padlock

I am sure you will get expert confirmation, but I am leaning towards it being genuine, but cheaply manufactured.

...mercury

I think it's right, Just cheaply made and old, bear in mind that language can change over time and the word ' Manufacture' may have changed too in some context.

Thanks for the help guys

I would still like to hear Brians opinion on this, I believe he may know more than we do on Antique British locks and padlocks!

Does anyone know whether Chubb ever made a seal lock like the Hobbs or the Walsall?

Thread Information