Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Broken Key Repair

Okay all - this is probably NOT what you were thinking from the title.

However this is a repair project that I have been putting off for a long while.
    It's probably from the 1930's to 1950's. It came along with Grandpa's stuff as is.

No photo records, nor anybody around who has any information on what it originally looked like.
    The bow has been missing for as long as I knew about it, piled up in the garage as a kid.

It's all wooden, maybe ash or maple. The shaft was turned on a wood lathe, length about 33 inches remain.
    There were holes for hanging bolts or perhaps rope or chain along the length to display horizontally.
    There are several coats of finish, dirt, & grime. Pretty much as found - I haven't touched anything yet.

I would like to fabricate a suitable bow for this key.
    Part of my excuse was that I might find a picture somewhere with it in the background - but that's probably not going to happen.

I am seeking suggestions, photo's, or drawings of a key that would look right. And a guess at the probable proportions, should it be exact or the bow over stated for the wooden replica.
    Bit key designs - probably from something in the U.S. period anytime in the 1900's.

Not too plain - but I have to fabricate it myself out of wood - so not too complex either.
    I had originally thought of just a basic outline with a jig saw, but some simple carving or shaping could probably be managed by yours truly.

There's no real time frame, I have put it off this long.
    I welcome your comments and suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Fritz.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1-IMG_20131123_174907_400.jpg   1-IMG_20131123_174753_856.jpg   1-IMG_20131123_174657_600.jpg   1-IMG_20131123_174621_907.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Fritzer View Post
    I would like to fabricate a suitable bow for this key..... I welcome your comments and suggestions.

Fritz.
    It may have resembled the Ilco key shop sign shown in the thumbnail. The original was made of cast aluminum and likely dates to the 1930s.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IlcoLargeKeySign.jpg  

Hi Pete,

Hey that might have been the origin of this copy.
    I could imagine one of them saw that ILCO item in a catalog, a distributors ad, or maybe even hanging somewhere.
    Then somebody possibly decided to make a copy from that.

I like the idea that it would be restored to a copy of the ILCO sign, and not too difficult for me to make.

I think I will replace the print on the key with Grandad's lock shop name - I have someone who cuts custom adhesive vinyl graphics.
    Maybe something in the same style font, curved to fit the bow in the horizontal hanging position.

Thank you very much for the photo and suggestion.
    Regards,
    Fritz

Well, If the key has been broken off while fully inserted into the lock, the lock will most likely be operable...

Default Progress so far

Hi all,

I've had some time over the holiday to work on the repair.
    Here is the progress.
    Next steps are the crackle style antique finish & lettering.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-IMG_20131227_144802_299.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	207.6 KB 
ID:	10392
    I really did not touch any of the original work - now to try to come close to the original colors with the new replacement bow.

Regards,
    Fritz.

Default Repairs Finished.

Well it is done now and installed over my workbench with some weathered chain.
    I probably could have spent a lot more time trying to match some of the coloring.
    The crackle finish worked okay. Both sides are visible and identical.
    Maybe in another 75 years the old and new finish will even out a little more.
    A completed picture is attached.
    Regards.
    Fritz.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20131230_161322_490.jpg  

Thread Information