Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Lock Display Cases

Hello Forum,

Here are some pictures to share. These were original display cases within my grandfather's shop for various items. One still has the original glass from the 1940s. The lettering is some computer cut vinyl stick on decal artwork created to copy the style of business cards that I had from the era.

Just some locks which I have displayed as found from boxes and drawers. I know they are not very close, you may be able to zoom - or I can provide additional details on any one that appears to be something of interest.

For your viewing pleasure and further discussions.

Best Regards,
    Fritz.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20131110_141659_954.jpg   IMG_20131110_141611_473.jpg   IMG_20131110_141624_586.jpg   IMG_20131110_141827_329.jpg  

Thanks Fritz. My friend and I spent a while playing "Identify That Lock". Neither of us are locksmiths but I manage to identify a fair number of them. Looks like the key shop was only open on evenings and Saturdays - is there a story behind that?

I'm working on a side project - not very far along at the moment - but I'm attempting to design display cases for individual locks - made from clear acrylic, a wood or plastic base and programmable LED "spot" lighting (full RGB). Battery or 5/12 VDC input. One goal is to keep these cases both simple and elegant but also very affordable - I want to keep it in the sub $25 range.

A second, higher priced version would be in the sub-$50 range and would include small OLED/?? or other full color screen on which to display information about the lock. The screen display as well as the color and timing of the lights will be controlled via your smart phone (i.e. an Android/iPhone app) using a low power Bluetooth interface - such as RFduino.

The price of all the required components is coming down quickly and the quality is going up. Low cost hosted design tools and rapid prototyping services make iterative development practical for even the smallest (i.e. 1-person) company.

I'm not sure there would even be a market for such items . Perhaps "success" may be defined simply by a working prototype rather than a thriving business. OTOH, I don't want to put the cart in front of the horse.

Nice photos. Thanks

Old locks nowadays are less likely to be thrown away for scrap - like they used to be.
    Every few decades a sad event gets them redistributed between the younger collectors.
    There is of course an attrition rate though, to varying degrees over time, as well as (fewer and fewer) new examples of antique locks being found.
    The long term prospects for the survival of these locks is dependent on EVERY owner who ever comes across them, valueing and not scrapping them.
    If they are mounted in a box as you suggest, the chances are tiny that some ignorant executor will decide that they are scrap....and they will survive somewhere.
    Your work doing this could be immensely important.

What is this beefy guy with all the rivets:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	9215

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    ... Every few decades a sad event gets them redistributed between the younger collectors. ...
    I'm not sure I know what you mean by this, Tom Could you elaborate just a bit? Thx.

A collector dies....

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    A collector dies....

Of course. My apologies for being so dense.

Interesting in genuine displays Fritz!

I can make out a Masterlock round Masterlock that is brass, what was it again, the 48?
    Still missing that one here

Default Lock Display Cases

Hello Fritzer, I would like a little bit of information about the combination lock that is on the left side of your photo next to the long shackle bike lock. please ?
    Is it steel or aluminum ?
    Are there 3 brass wheels ?
    What are the dimension's of the lock body ?
    I'm coming in late on this one, I assume that these lock's are yours, or am I just looking at photograph's from the past...............bewildered, Donnie

Quote Originally Posted by timof5stars View Post
    What is this beefy guy with all the rivets:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	11.4 KB 
ID:	9215
    I could be wrong, but that looks like a toy padlock that converts to a gun. I've seen those years back and I can't remember for sure how it works, but on the toy a barrel pops out and you insert and turn the key to make it shoot caps off a roll.
    Mark A. Billesbach

Thread Information