Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Max, I try very hard not to get in into collecting, mostly cause I can 't afford to buy things that sit around collecting dust. However if you don't get a buyer for the Corliss, I will spring for it. Doug

Default 11/12 update

Corliss is taken as well now- thanks

Guys- because of the interest in these miniatures it's only fair to let you know this:
    I was hours online yesterday getting prices and availability of different bar stock and sizes- had a BIG shock over current prices- When I made most of these the cost of the different metals and stock sections I used was minimal- the 4 inch Equitable styled door was only recently finished from a slice of aluminium bar I'd bought probably 10 years ago. Turns out the 4 inch x 2 inch slice I used to make it, is now around £20~£25 here in the UK- as for a slice 7 inches by 4 inches thick that I was pricing for a One king west door, it made me fall off my chair at £68 plus carriage, so much so I decided to call it a day and stay on floor while recovering.

End result is I can't make anymore of these doors at these prices the 4 inch door I thought I priced very fair at £150, turns out to be a £20-25 lump of aluminium if I had to buy again to make another

Everything metal has gone WAY up. Wire is gold if you have boxes around the shop for jobs. I don't see the price for metal going down anytime in the future.

That's it Dean- those prices knocked me over- I still can't believe it
    What I've bought in the last 6 or 7 years is just smaller bar stock for small parts- small repairs, locks, keys, antiques etc so you don't really notice the increases on small sizes in small quantities. Jumping up to the big diameter stuff was a shock to say the least and a big bat in the face- the price goes through the roof- and aluminium was always way cheaper over here than brass, cheaper as a metal and because it's so light- you'd get a lot more for your money than brass or stainless. Not anymore- I can only imagine the prices of these sizes in brass or phosphor bronze

True... the price for that stuff is just ridiculous at the moment.

I buy from a place here called metal shorts. They sell scrap pieces at a good deal and they are stock leftovers from manufacturing that they sorted out for the most part. Much cheaper than new stock if you are looking for less than full pieces. It also could be I live in an area that has manufacturing still.

I'm lucky as well- there's a great one here just a couple of miles up the road that I've used for the last 25 years, but unlucky this time as I was specifically looking for 7 inch diameter aluminium bar and they only had smaller and larger sizes.
    They stock full lengths + all the band-sawn offcuts from manufacturing supply as well, but it's always a time warp when I go in there as it's usually about 3 hours before I get out!

Default Any of these still available, for sale ?

If so, please PM me.

Couple of vault door models on Ebay. Not mine.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/wotsittooy...p2047675.l2562

Thread Information