Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It is what it is:

1. A real Indian padlock
    2. A fantasy lock and a fake of another real antique American padlock

Quote Originally Posted by timof5stars View Post
    As a newcomer to the world of old locks, I have taken several times by less than virtuous vendors. I shrug this off as "paying my dues" so to speak. It is the cost of my education. Believe oldlock - your lock makes a nice decoration, but like the two "Keen Kutter" locks, the "Admiral Navy" lock, the Lion's Face lock -- all of which I have sitting in a box, their real value lies in what they have taught me. It is easy to be misled - the Internet is flooded with locks that look old but aren't - and it can sometimes be hard for even the experts to tell the difference.

Here are a few links you may want to glance at:
    In general, if it looks like you are getting an incredible deal, you are probably not looking at the real deal.

Remember the names of the vendors who deliberately misrepresent what they sell and then simply avoid doing business with them (But keep in mind many people sincerely believe they are selling a genuine antique even when they aren't.)

If you are seriously interested in the highly collectible locks, then expect to pay the going rate and only deal with well established, well respected vendors who will stand behind what they sell. They are out there.

Finally, my most important rule: There is no such thing as a deal so good you can't walk away from it.

VERY well said! As a Wells Fargo collector of all the period artifacts, I couldnt agree more!

Thread Information