Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Chubb padlock with disc on shaft

I recently acquired this Chubb padlock (3.5" wide). I am interested in learning about the working key that came with it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails chubb (2).jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by tsspencer View Post
    I recently acquired this Chubb padlock (3.5" wide). I am interested in learning about the working key that came with it
    It looks like the padlock has been taken apart -has the key been repaired on the working end?

Yes, it does look like a home made key made from two different grades of brass.

It does appear as though the key may have been repaired and the lock been taken apart.

Hoping not to offend in anyway whatsoever I think this lock might be a fake, there are plenty of fakes being sold on ebay at ridiculous prices, generally they are from India and of a very bad quality of brass, the key is just a joke, the lock is usually made of very thin brass plates and they have unusually heavy "Wear" marks (Badly bashed up).

I bought one a while ago to illustrate to others how to identify a fake and it is exactly identical other than the lip on the keyhole cover, I could be wrong about yours and I hope I am, I don't want you to think that it is definitely a fake but just be aware.

I haven't seen any verified versions of this padlock anywhere which is why I am skeptical of it's origins, if others more knowledgeable than me could shed some light on this I would also appreciate the information.

What I do know is that it should be in a much better condition than this and made to a better standard, it could be wear and tear but it's unlikely, the cover may have been removed which I also suspect but the fakes are just made so badly that they have this damage by intention to artificially age the lock and if it was damaged while fixing the cover plate by the maker then it just wouldn't matter to them.

I could be wrong and I hope I am, as I said, If others could give more information to verify this locks origins then I would also appreciate the advice.

Kit

The lock is 'right' it's just had a very hard life and been taken apart. That is quite common for locks that wound up on the sub-continent.

It does alas greatly diminish the value of the lock.

The key I am quite sure is not original. It's been made up from parts and cut to suit the lock.

I'm certainly not offended by the suggestion that the lock may be a fake; I appreciate your response. The lock was purchased from an American seller, but of course it could have originally come from India (which doesn't necessarily mean it's a fake). I also agree that it has been taken apart, but although I am by no means certain, I think it is probably genuine.

Just that it was made uniquely and surely may differ from a regular padlock but looks great.

Thread Information