Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have to correct you again Wylk the 951 does indeed use ball bearings and the 833 too.

Here is a video:

A padlock that weighs the same (1.65kg) and is also very huge is the Anchor Las 590-6 and the biggest one is probably the Mul-T-Lock E18H but I have never seen it, have to get one though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 005.Schreibtisch.JPG  

Darn, I thought the 833/951 used the same locking bar as the 831 but as you point out, I mistakenly thought I was mistaken.

The Mul-T-Lock padlock I have is, I believe, the E14L (blue bumper if that means anything). I see they have discontinued the E series (expensive to make, low demand). I feel this is a terrible padlock because the two screws holding the body together can be removed at any time. This doesn't significantly compromise it when locked, but does allow it to fall apart when unlocked (assuming the user didn't notice), possibly making it useless if parts are lost (in computing this would be a denial-of-service attack). But it is big and impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Weber View Post
    ...the biggest one is probably the Mul-T-Lock E18H but I have never seen it, have to get one though.
    There is an E18HE1 for sale on eBay right now (four of them in fact), US $220. The construction is a bit different from my E14L and they may have corrected the exposed-screws issue I mentioned.

Yes they may have resolved that issue but padlocks like the Abus Granit also use screws for keeping the shackle protection in place. It saves money because you only have to produce one ground model + the shackle protection for a second version instead of machining a second version out of a larger block of steel.

In my opinion the best padlocks you can get are the ones from Anchor Las. Simple and yet durable + a secure and decent disc detainer. The also offer the largest variety of versions and shackle lengths that you can possibly think of. Almost every model is also available with a removable shackle. I am planning a whole video series on their padlocks right now and the company will provide me with various models for that project. I was also thinking about a video on the E-Series padlocks and already prepared and E-Mail for the company but I have not send it yet.

I mistakenly thought I was mistaken.
    Happens to the best my friend

The one on Ebay is indeed tempting but I am quite broke at the moment.

Thread Information