Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Key Machine - Keil #3 Serial Number 434

Hello All,

I took some pictures of this the other day. It is still fully functioning, I duplicated a few keys with it a couple of weeks ago. I filled up all the oil cups and brushed most of the chips away.

Dad kept this one at our house in the garage for occasional use- he sewed a custom soft cover that protects it to this day from dust and dirt. I don't really remember him cutting any steel keys, but all except one of the turret positions has the cutters and shafts intact and running. Last time out I ran each of the turret stations, just for giggles and the amazement of this mechanical marvel.

Here are some pictures for your review.
    I have not located any literature for this key machine. I have seen some other posts with old catalog and sales information that this forum has dug up and provided links to.
    Any chance you guys can help me date this one, other documents, or information about it ?

I would like to hear your comments or opinions.

Best Regards,
    Fritz.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1-IMG_20131110_140657_509.jpg   1-IMG_20131110_140533_261.jpg   1-IMG_20131110_140553_831.jpg   1-IMG_20131110_140718_177.jpg  

I can't help you with facts about the machine my friend but looks marvelous!

Perfect for a movie if you ask me

Wow, that is quite a machine. I would not even know how to use that :P
    Laurence Simon, simon-says.net probably has information on that machine.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmoss26 View Post
    Wow, that is quite a machine. I would not even know how to use that :P
    Laurence Simon, simon-says.net probably has information on that machine.
    Laurie Simon's fascinating website Simon-Says does indeed have info on the 3-1/2 described as:
    Combination of the Fully Automatic Duplicator and Code Machine #1 and the #6 Turret Cylinder, Flat, Bit Keys

You can view the website as "visitors", then click on Key Machines Visitor then Keil New York and scroll down:
    http://www.simon-says.net/lds/enter.htm

A 64 page manual & parts list for this machine is also on the website but only available to "paid" members.

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Laurie Simon's fascinating website Simon-Says does indeed have info on the 3-1/2 described as:
    Combination of the Fully Automatic Duplicator and Code Machine #1 and the #6 Turret Cylinder, Flat, Bit Keys

You can view the website as "visitors", then click on Key Machines Visitor then Keil New York and scroll down:
    http://www.simon-says.net/lds/enter.htm

A 64 page manual & parts list for this machine is also on the website but only available to "paid" members.

Pete Schifferli
    Thanks guys - I think that is the kind of lead I was looking for. I've requested access to the site. we will see how that goes.
    Regards,
    Fritz.

Thread Information