Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Cleaning antique combination lock

I have an antique Sargent and Greenleaf combination lock in my collection that needs basic cleaning & re-lubrication.

There will be pictures posted after I have cleaned the lock and then hopefully it will be possible to identify the lock's model number & the date of manufacture (if archives from S&G from this era still exist?) from the serial number.

So, I need to clean and lubricate the lock properly & I think I can describe it & it's condition well enough for this purpose.

Whilst I cannot find the exact model, including in the S&G catalogues posted here, the lock is almost identical to this lock from the 1907 S&G Bank Lock Catalogue (http://www.antique-locks.com/attachm...8&d=1250909966) the only major difference being that my lock is not indirect drive.

Unfortunately somebody has done a crude job of making it into a cutaway (there is a piece of the case roughly sawn out to permit a view of the fence & the top edge of the wheel pack).

This has resulted in a lot of dust & some fine grit ending up inside the lock. It still works quite well, but I do not wish to damage it by operating it whilst so dirty - a gentle cleaning is definitely needed!

I am quite comfortable disassembling the lock, and have worked on many more modern mechanisms, but I would appreciate some advice as to what I should use to clean these antique lock parts & the inside of the case?

After the parts are cleaned, what lubricants are suitable for use in the lock?

I will post pictures of the lock when I have cleaned it.

Thankyou in advance for any advice,

...mercury

For years , I have used non-flammable brake cleaner and air to clean up locks. The type of lube is not so important, lithium, vaseline, etc. and almost always it is used very sparingly, a very thin coating on the wheel post and isolation washers. Doug

Thankyou for your help, Doug.
    That's just the kind of answer I needed.

...mercury

Thread Information