Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Where are the famous "clicks" these days ?

Almost every safe combination lock I saw in movies produces "clicks" when dial is turned.... But I NEVER came across such a lock in the real life (read eBay). Do they really exists ? Any idea where to find one ?

Greetings

Default Re: Where are the famous "clicks" these days ?

Quote Originally Posted by teolein
    Almost every safe combination lock I saw in movies produces "clicks" when dial is turned.... But I NEVER came across such a lock in the real life (read eBay). Do they really exists ? Any idea where to find one ?

Greetings
    It's a bad idea to make the dial click while it turns. This allows people standing nearby to figure out the combination. This was an acknowledged problem with Fichet "click" dial locks with alphabetic dials.

Default clicking combination lock

Hallo Teolein, hello teolein - I will write in english, so everybody can read it...

There is a really nice example of a clicking combination lock from Theodor Kromer.
    I will post some pictures soon.
    When the dial is turned there is a really nice clicking sound during movement of the dial.
    As mentioned before another one is the Fichet clicker lock, which came in different variations.
    Kromer is an old lock and collectors piece, the Fichet is still in use.
    E.g. Bode Panzer mounted the Fichet clicker quite some time.
    Many Greetings,
    Oliver

Default Kromer Letter Lock

Here are some pictures of the Kromer Buchstabencombi...
    enjoy

DRP 361110

check on

http://www.depatisnet.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BuchstabenkombiKromer_altD.jpg   BuchstabenkombiKromer_altC.jpg   BuchstabenkombiKromer_altB.jpg   BuchstabenkombiKromer_altA.jpg  

That's a fine lock Oliver, thanks for the pictures.
    Teolein, just goes to show how accurate Hollywood is when it comes to safes! S&G did make some dials with ball bearing clickers for certain locks but they were rather quiet. You might just find one of these on ebay though.

Thread Information