Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help Identifying Large Iron Lever Lock

In the same box of locks that help my S&G 826A, I found the following lock:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ml1-005.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	262.4 KB 
ID:	7982

It has a very unusual keyway and key. It also has a small iron spike at the end of the chain. What is that for?

The only markings on the lock are written on the drop/dusty cover but I can't make them out. I thought someone more experienced tham myself might recognize this. Here is the best image I could get. As you'll see, it is quite faded:

Name:	ml1-002.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	283.9 KB 
ID:	7986

There is also writing at the tip of the drop/dust cover - looks like it begins with the letter "V". Not sure this is even English:

Name:	ml1-004.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	269.0 KB 
ID:	7987

The back is unremarkable with the exception of two brass strips that are flush through the back plate of the lock - apparently it is part of the internal mechanism.:

Name:	ml1-006.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	288.4 KB 
ID:	7988

The lock is in the unlocked position and the shackle freely rotates on its hinge:

Name:	ml1-008.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	212.1 KB 
ID:	7989

The key fits the keyway and partially rotates. But the mechanism does not move when a small amount of pressure is applied. I was afraid any additional pressure might damage the lock so I discontinued my attempt to engage the locking mechanism.

Does anyone know what we're looking at here?

Thanks

The metal peg is designed to be hammered into a gatepost so that when the lock is unlocked, the padlock cant go missing.
    Through what angle will the key turn before it comes to a stop?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    The metal peg is designed to be hammered into a gatepost so that when the lock is unlocked, the padlock cant go missing.
    Through what angle will the key turn before it comes to a stop?
    Because the lock appear to be in the unlocked position, I am attempting to rotate the key counter-clockwise assuming that would put the lock into the "locked" position. It rotates through a little less than 1/2 turn, perhaps 160 degrees CCW.

If I attempt to rotate in the clockwise direction, again a little less than 1/2 turn (~160 degrees CW).

In both cases it feels like fairly solid resistance - there is no 'give' or spring in either direction.

Hey my friend,

This padlock could be from Europe and if from Europe it might be from Velbert Germany. I know a person who would most certainly know where this padlock is from but he is very busy at the moment. You could also try to message the lock museum in Velbert and ask them about it or the curator of the Hans Shell Collection in Graz. I am however not sure if they are capable of speaking English in a fluent way.

I would try adding some synthetic oil to the lock if not "fill it" with synthetic oil so the mechanism can loosen up.

Quote Originally Posted by dicey View Post
    I would try adding some synthetic oil to the lock if not "fill it" with synthetic oil so the mechanism can loosen up.
    Huh? Are we talking something like Mobile 1 ??

Would I soak in a pan ? For how Long? What "weight" 10W-30? Why synthetic?

lol no

I am talking about a Synthetic lubricant. Not sure what there is available in the US but I myself am using Tunap MP102.

Also take a look at this thread if you like:
    http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...padlocks/page2

Looks like Tunap will be difficult but perhaps not impossible to find here in US.

However, I did find some singing the prakises of GT-85 Bicycle Chain & Cable Lube

Familiar with this stuff?

Oh yeah! A lot a people from Canada the UK and the US have recommended that to me, I haven't had the time to test it yet but I am sure its good stuff :)

Give it a try!

Thanks Dicey, I just put a can on order. At $11 US, I'm not taking too big of a risk. Sure be nice if I could get this lock working

Thread Information