Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Yale Padlock- interesting key

Hi Team, I picked up an interesting padlock at the flea mkt. last week.. Interesting to me , that is, because I have not one like it in my collection.. I'm not a big collector of Yale lock's, other than push key types, both conventional & pancake's/// but this keyway caught my eye.....Anyone want to throw some info at me......thanks, Donnie
    now to try & get a photo up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yale long shank padlock with very narrow  keyway 001.jpg   Yale long shank padlock with very narrow  keyway 007.jpg   Yale long shank padlock with very narrow  keyway 012.jpg   Yale long shank padlock with very narrow  keyway 009.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    Hi Team, I picked up an interesting padlock at the flea mkt. last week.. Interesting to me , that is, because I have not one like it in my collection.. I'm not a big collector of Yale lock's, other than push key types, both conventional & pancake's/// but this keyway caught my eye.....Anyone want to throw some info at me......thanks, Donnie
    That appears to be an original Yale flat steel pin tumbler key with trefoil bow, sometimes called a feather key, and may date between 1865 and 1882 when they were replaced by a corrugated key. By 1904 all Yale locks had today's paracentric keyway.

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    According to my records, that is a #3 1/2 key with the A key section. It was used for padlocks 805, 8005, 806 and 8006 from 1902 until at leaqst 1934 and maybe longer but my record stops at 1934. The keyway was used for many different types of locks through the years but most of the keys in those uses had a bottom shoulder. The only other key that didn't have a bottom shoulder was the #1 1/2 but the blade for it was only .78" and I think yours is the 1.15" length.
    BBE.

Thread Information