Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Question Sea Chest Half Mortise Lock-Need help identifying

I inherited a sea chest from my great grandfather who lived in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US. I know the sea chest dates from at least 1849 by corroborative provenance, but I am trying to determine how much earlier it may have been made. I have been informed that the lock, which is identical to the photo, is English. My lock appears identical in every respect except that the lock says 4 TUMBLER in the curvilinear stamped area. Would any one have any idea who produced these locks and/or when they were produced. It is possible, I suppose, that the lock was added after the sea chest was crafted. Thanks for any possible help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails half mortise sea chest lock.jpg  

Default box lock

This appears to me to be machine-made. If so, it will be a later, 20C, replacement. (A common occurrence, especially with boxes.) The key also looks 20C, and could be US.

In the 19-20C, most everybody and his brother in Willenhall made unmarked cabinet locks, for sale to wholesalers - hence no maker's name. There continued to be a lively export trade to US, until the Great War, so that is probably the limits of age: c. first decade 20C.

However, there were some basic lever locks being [hand-]made in the 19C, so that is possible.

Because it says tumbler rather than lever would that possibly point towards the lock being made in America?

Thread Information