Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I found an old thread here on antique-locks regarding Kelly safes -- http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...ighlight=kelly. Several nice brochures which might shed some light on model number and such.

TCMGO, any luck yet getting it open?

Those brochures might help, if they were from the U.S. Now when I look at the dial it looks like Victor. I will compare with some pictures. Regarding how many wheels might be in the lock, it is easy to do a wheel count check by getting all wheels moving left (or right) and then reversing, listening/feeling for wheel pick up as you go around each successive turn. Doug

I looked at a few known Victor dial pictures and I believe I can make out that same patent date. That would indicate a 3 wheel and driver lock. However a wheel count check should be done to verify this. Typically screw change without movable flys. Last turn is to draw the bolts back, so it would be to right, making the sequence 4L-3R-2L-1R to stop. I have seen a fair number of screwed up dialing directions and for various reasons. Sometimes meant to confuse and sometimes by the confused. Doug

Default Old safe ---Kelly Mfg.

It certainly looks like a Victor.If so the sequence would be 4-3-2-1.L-R-L-R. 4L-3R-2L-1R

Default Victor safe mechanism

I agree that it looks like a Victor & I hope the pictures of the internals of the lock are helpful : http://www.lockpicking101.com/viewto...p?f=36&t=57397

I have been hesitant to respond to this thread, as I do not know where the line is drawn in this forum regarding giving out information that many believe is best kept within the safe tech community. I was unsure if describing how to stack & count the wheels, test for type of fence, test flies etc was allowed, but it seems from some of the information above that discussion of basic combination lock diagnostics is allowed? I tend to err on the side of caution in this respect.

Hope that link above helps,

...mercury

Apologies for the double post.

Whilst the patent date on the safe dial I linked to above matches that of the dial on the safe in this thread, the dials aren't perfect matches - note the shape of the 'handles' on each of the dials & one dial has only 60 graduations/numbers(as opposed to 100) on the dial.

Maybe they are locks that are both based that patent, but made many years apart?

...mercury

I believe that there was an update to these locks around the year 1917, which may expain any difference in handles.
    The code numbers given seem reasonable bearing in mind we do not know the lock's repair history, however there might be an answer to the puzzle. If we consider that the first 4 numbers are for the 3 wheels and the driver, that leaves 2 numbers unaccounted for.
    I would suggest that the number 74 is maybe where the dial stops when the lock is opened. (I find this is quite common over here)
    The number 90 may be used to decode the given combination, such as add 90 to all sets of numbers or subtract 90 to all sets of numbers in the given code, or alternately add and subtract 90.

Thread Information