Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Bank Notes: Allegorical Woman with Bank Vault vignette

I ran across this on eBay and it looked interesting enough to share. I've not been too interested in bank notes though of course they were often elaborate and artistic. In this case it's an engraving that could have been used (or was in fact used) for a bank note. The hair style makes me think it's comparatively modern. Here is what the seller says:

Selling a Large Collection of American Bank Note Company Engravings. These engravings are from various archival series and collections produced using the original steel engraved plates from the company's huge archives. The steel plates were created between 1850-1960. Many of these vignette size engravings were used on currency notes and stock certificates produced by the company. Many will be familiar to stock, bond and currency collectors! Very high quality, proof-like engravings on archival paper stock. Highly detailed, intaglio engravings, you can feel the ridges of the ink in the engravings! Incredibly detailed works of art! With the breakup of the company and destruction/selling off of their archives and property, they won't be printing anymore of these. The supply that's out there now is all there will ever be!

Are there any bank note collectors here who can expand on the topic?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Allegorical Woman with Bank Vault Vignette.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	680.1 KB 
ID:	8942

I accidentally found this on eBay, a stock certificate that used this particular image. The seller claims it is from the 1970s though this one is dated 1994 (I suppose it could have been printed in the 70s but the images are too poor to tell).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Allegorical Woman with Bank Vault Vignette 2.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	16589 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Allegorical Woman with Bank Vault Vignette 3.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	467.5 KB 
ID:	16590

Thread Information