Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Eagle Supr Security IRS Padlock

A very interesting lock and one I previously had not seen! What especially caught my attention was the key that almost looks like 2 keys fused together - one pin tumbler type and the other a Bell type with a wavy groove. It reminded me of a key type associated with a watchman's signal system made by Dudley. Its so-called tour key has a lock fitted within its stem that fits into another key within the box. This box key resembles the IRS padlock key in that it also looks like 2 keys fused together. It even has a groove down the center, but is straight rather than wavy. I have posted three pictures. Incidentally, does anyone have information about Dudley? All I have been able to find out is that it was originally located in Chicago and then moved to Canada. The company apparently was acquired by Master.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2599.JPG   CIMG4711.JPG   CIMG4710.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by timof5stars View Post
    Pete,Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.
    Point of information, Nickerson & Collins Co. became the publisher of Locksmith Ledger magazine in 1970 after it was sold by M. Leonard Singer; who had begun the periodical in 1939. Mr. Singer was a museum founder and together with his wife Louise were museum directors until their deaths. Nickerson & Collins did indeed publish the first edition of Early Locks and Lockmakers of America as well as the expanded second edition which are said to have sold over 5,000 copies. I have a hard cover version of the first with my name embossed in gold leaf which was issued to commemorate America's bicentennial in 1976. Some years later Cygnus Business Media became the publisher and continues to this day. I believe the revised third edition (c) 1997, now printed by Locksmith Publishing Corp., an affiliate of Cygnus; is still for sale by the museum. I have the good fortune to possess a soft cover copy autographed by the author and curator, Thomas F. Hennessy, Sr.

As an aside, I am attempting to secure the entire Historical Research Series of which I'm missing at least 24. If successful, I hope to scan these and burn to a CD so that they will be preserved for posterity. Attached are PDFs of #20 of the Series dated Aug. 1987 showing some old Eagle-made padlocks and #21 from Nov. 1987 with old Friam padlocks from their 1915 catalog.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Klemm View Post
    A very interesting lock and one I previously had not seen! What especially caught my attention was the key that almost looks like 2 keys fused together - one pin tumbler type and the other a Bell type with a wavy groove.
    Interestingly, prior to 1949; the Bell Lock was manufactured by the Dudley Lock Corp. of Chicago, IL. See pdf of Historical Research Series
    #15 by Thomas F. Hennessy, dated May 1985 attached for more information. I am unaware of any acquisition of Dudley by Master Lock Co.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    Interestingly, prior to 1949; the Bell Lock was manufactured by the Dudley Lock Corp. of Chicago, IL. See pdf of Historical Research Series
    #15 by Thomas F. Hennessy, dated May 1985 attached for more information. I am unaware of any acquisition of Dudley by Master Lock Co.

Pete Schifferli
    Dudley is a wholly owned subsiderary of Master Lock LLP and has been for the last 4-5 years. I did a little trouble shooting for the combo lock before it was converted to the MLC design a couple of years ago.
    BBE.

Hey Pete, thank you so much for posting No.15, that one explains EVERYTHING!

Perfect, now the mystery is solved, at least for me

Adrian

Thread Information