Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Need help identifying this old b&o railroad lock

hello I am in need of help identifying this old railroad lock i purchased ive only found one other known example and it resides in the Neil Pylant collection . The only marking on the lock is the heavy B&O stamped deeply on the latch . The lock is all brass measures 3 1/4 inches wide . It has what looks like a hand forged and hammered chain attached to it .

I have tried contacting several people regarding it and have gotten no replies about it .

the internet has been of no help either

I have found a similar lock made by elijah rickard pre-civil war

Ive had several guys make offers on the lock in excess of 500.00 which i dont want to accept untill i know exactly what i have here .

please any info on age-value-maker-possibly where to get a key would be great .

http://antique-padlocks.com/rr_b&o.htm

in the above link you can see the one owned by neil pylant it the first one on the list .

thanks for all your input in advance

Default Heres a few photos

Trying to post photos hope this works
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF6234.jpg   DSCF6231.jpg  

Default Heres more photos

Can only post three photos at a time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF6233.jpg   DSCF6241.jpg   DSCF6237.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by kassekfrank65 View Post
    Can only post three photos at a time
    It is probably genuine and is known as a screw key lock. The keys can have internal or external threads and from what little I can see in picture 2 aboveI suggest that the key for this lock has external threads. The hardest part of getting a key made is determining the pitch of the threads. You might try purchasing a screw key lock recently made in India and see of the key wil work your lock, just don't turn the key so hard that the threads could be damaged.

There is a museumin Baltimore in an old roundhouse. You might contact them for use dates.
    BBE.

Thread Information