Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Yale Print Block, Genuine of Fake?

Hello everyone,

I recently spotted the following item online:
    https://www.etsy.com/transaction/155...=fb2_tnx_title

The chance was there and too good... I examined the item and was sure it is genuine. It was also not very expensive so I just grabbed it. Now I want to have confirmation of its authenticity.

Do you thing this piece is genuine? If yes is it rare?
    I have never seen a piece like this before.

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Weber View Post
    Hello everyone,

I recently spotted the following item online:
    https://www.etsy.com/transaction/155...=fb2_tnx_title

The chance was there and too good... I examined the item and was sure it is genuine. It was also not very expensive so I just grabbed it. Now I want to have confirmation of its authenticity.

Do you thing this piece is genuine? If yes is it rare?
    I have never seen a piece like this before.

Adrian
    I think they are very rare because most of the time they were melted down to reuse the metal. Yours looks like bronze. They were alsoavailable in aluminum. Typically used to print advertisements in newspapers, there have probably been hundreds if not thousands made but most melted down later. I have a few from other companies. I had an idea to use mine under glass in a coffee table but just haven't taken the time to make the table with a recess.

I think your is real and probably dates to the 1920's from looking at the lock being promoted.
    BBE.

That's a great find Adrian

I've got a couple of those boxed away in the attic somewhere, but mine aren't lock or safe related- that bit does make yours a lucky find. I think the blocks in general are possibly more common than some might think- there are a quite a lot of them out there and people collect them pretty much like they collect anything else.

Yours is possibly rarer than some as it looks typical of those used for higher volume printing like newspapers etc and has the copper plated face. I think most were heavy base metals like zinc with the copper plating usually used on higher production blocks.

I'm no expert though, so as to rarity and whether it's genuine or fake you'd have to join an old printing forum to know for sure, but it's just one of those curios I can't see anyone trying to copy- when you consider the complexity of making them it'd never be worth the time and trouble. They might consider faking one for a newspaper's first issue or a famous news headline if the potential value was high enough, but I can't see it for a Yale padlock advert- I think you can safely assume yours is genuine!

Thanks for the confirmation guys :)

Can't wait to get it because to me this is a very beautiful piece and you know that I love collecting advertising pieces from lock manufacturers or safe companies. You have any spares let me know

Just got two Bode Panzer key rings, very nice pieces too.

I would love to look at the photo but it's not there anymore. :(

I will make new photos as soon as the block arrived, it did not arrive yet sorry still waiting here.

Yale Print Block (ca. 1920)

The heavy block is wood covered with engraved metal and topped with copper. The ad features a picture of a Yale padlock and logo. It measures 2" x 5 5/8" x 7/8". It is the perfect size for a old newspaper column.

The print reads: "If you are in need of a padlock for any purpose whatsoever, be sure the one you buy bears the name YALE. We have one for every place where a padlock is needed--and every Yale padlock is the best that can be made for its purpose."

I have added the pictures now!

Adrian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.Yale Print Block (3).JPG   001.Yale Print Block (2).JPG   001.Yale Print Block.JPG  

Default : Yale Print Block, Genuine of Fake?

Adrian, you were lucky to find a padlock "cut" as these were called.
    They were used in Letterpress printing, which was popular in the USA until offset printing took over around the 1950's.. As far as I know they were never faked..
    Some of these were solid metal E.G. lead/tin/ antimony......others were wood..zinc was also used & copperplate, which is what you have...the most desirable to collect as they are pretty to display.. A friend of mine has a complete letterpress shop set up in her workshop, complete with Chandler & Price late 1800's press & lots of cuts..
    The type was all set by hand, 1 letter at a time, except for the invention of the
    "Line-o-type...which would melt lead & produce a line of type in one piece.....
    This machine is one of the most complex machines that was ever made in the 1800's.
    Letterpress printing is still around, as it is a hobby printer's dream......like we collect locks.
    Look up letterpress printing, you will be amazed that it is as popular as it is..
    On a side note, she will still do a run of wedding invitations, still, because anything letterpressed is beautiful to look at & feel, yes, you can feel a card if it has been made on a press.....Third world countries still use this process & are the consumers of a lot of letterpress items sold on Ebay............Donnie

Default Yale Print Block, Genuine of Fake?

Adrian, be careful collecting letterpress cuts........you can get bitten...just ask me how I know.............Donnie

Default Print Blocks

Hi,
    New to the forum.
    I have a few of those going back to my grandfather's and father's shop started in the 1920's.
    Here is the letterhead that was produced from some the blocks that I have.
    There is also Yale padlock I have from maybe a business card.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-Cadillac Key Shop letterhead.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	9164

Just wanted to share and say Hi.
    Fritz.

Thread Information