Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Yale Print Block, Genuine of Fake?

Hello everyone,

I recently spotted the following item online:
    https://www.etsy.com/transaction/155...=fb2_tnx_title

The chance was there and too good... I examined the item and was sure it is genuine. It was also not very expensive so I just grabbed it. Now I want to have confirmation of its authenticity.

Do you thing this piece is genuine? If yes is it rare?
    I have never seen a piece like this before.

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Weber View Post
    Hello everyone,

I recently spotted the following item online:
    https://www.etsy.com/transaction/155...=fb2_tnx_title

The chance was there and too good... I examined the item and was sure it is genuine. It was also not very expensive so I just grabbed it. Now I want to have confirmation of its authenticity.

Do you thing this piece is genuine? If yes is it rare?
    I have never seen a piece like this before.

Adrian
    I think they are very rare because most of the time they were melted down to reuse the metal. Yours looks like bronze. They were alsoavailable in aluminum. Typically used to print advertisements in newspapers, there have probably been hundreds if not thousands made but most melted down later. I have a few from other companies. I had an idea to use mine under glass in a coffee table but just haven't taken the time to make the table with a recess.

I think your is real and probably dates to the 1920's from looking at the lock being promoted.
    BBE.

That's a great find Adrian

I've got a couple of those boxed away in the attic somewhere, but mine aren't lock or safe related- that bit does make yours a lucky find. I think the blocks in general are possibly more common than some might think- there are a quite a lot of them out there and people collect them pretty much like they collect anything else.

Yours is possibly rarer than some as it looks typical of those used for higher volume printing like newspapers etc and has the copper plated face. I think most were heavy base metals like zinc with the copper plating usually used on higher production blocks.

I'm no expert though, so as to rarity and whether it's genuine or fake you'd have to join an old printing forum to know for sure, but it's just one of those curios I can't see anyone trying to copy- when you consider the complexity of making them it'd never be worth the time and trouble. They might consider faking one for a newspaper's first issue or a famous news headline if the potential value was high enough, but I can't see it for a Yale padlock advert- I think you can safely assume yours is genuine!

Thanks for the confirmation guys :)

Can't wait to get it because to me this is a very beautiful piece and you know that I love collecting advertising pieces from lock manufacturers or safe companies. You have any spares let me know

Just got two Bode Panzer key rings, very nice pieces too.

I would love to look at the photo but it's not there anymore. :(

Yeah it looks like the oldest one to be exactly.

Fritz, do you have a date or at least a year for that document?

Adrian

Default Yale Print Block, Genuine of Fake?

I reversed the image and lightened it a little so it can be read. It can clearly be seen that it is an advertisement perhaps for a magazine. I have no doubt that it is genuine. As for the age, that's difficult to determine. I would guess the 1920's. The padlock pictured at the top is one of the "standard" series of lever padlocks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Printing block in reverse.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Klemm View Post
    I reversed the image and lightened it a little so it can be read. It can clearly be seen that it is an advertisement perhaps for a magazine. I have no doubt that it is genuine. As for the age, that's difficult to determine. I would guess the 1920's. The padlock pictured at the top is one of the "standard" series of lever padlocks.
    Scott,
    It appears that I am not the greatest photographer - If you have the time to assist with the photo reversal - the larger print block might be interesting to see?

Regards,
    Fritz.

Default Print Blocks

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Weber View Post
    Yeah it looks like the oldest one to be exactly.

Fritz, do you have a date or at least a year for that document?

Adrian
    Adrian,
    I still have some of the blank letterhead, but I don't think that I have any dates for certain.
    It could have been 20's 30's or 40's I suppose.
    I could not find the American key print block, but here are three that I was able to locate quickly. I know that other one is around, somewhere.
    (two posts again for photos)
    Regards,
    Fritz.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20131112_211015_081.jpg   IMG_20131112_211042_342.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Fritzer View Post
    Adrian,
    (two posts again for photos)
    Regards,
    Fritz.
    More photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20131112_211134_977.jpg   IMG_20131112_212001_723.jpg  

Thread Information