Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Thread: Opensesami

Default Opensesami

A question for the world from a very new member! New kitchen being installed. I would like to hang my key collection behind a glass splashback! Lots of downsides! Should they be in a sealed unit? Do you know where I can find such a beast? Would that cause condensation? If not in a sealed unit will they get dirty/dusty and be a home for bugs? All suggestions gratefully received.

Perhaps I should just hang them on the wall!

hello welcome,

why do you want to hang your keys into kitchen?

i think this is the worst place,
    because of moisture and cooking fog.

are this keys in iron or in brass,
    how old they are,
    do you have a picture?

Default Hi Gerry - Keys in the kitchen !

Small house - display space negligible! Thought it would soften the appearance of a very modern kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Opensesami View Post
    A question for the world from a very new member! New kitchen being installed. I would like to hang my key collection behind a glass splashback! Lots of downsides! Should they be in a sealed unit? Do you know where I can find such a beast? Would that cause condensation? If not in a sealed unit will they get dirty/dusty and be a home for bugs? All suggestions gratefully received.

Perhaps I should just hang them on the wall!

If you have a company nearby that manufacturers sealed units for double glazed windows and doors they could seal it in a 25mm gap between 2 pieces of glass.
    How you are going to display them ? it is going to be difficult -I would recommend white opaque plastic inserted in the 25mm gap. It can be easily drilled for wires to tie your keys to it firmly.

In the arts & crafts world there is something called a shadow box, you might find one that is a nice size that also has a good enough seal to keep the contents in good condition. Stores like Hobby Lobby (in the US) have these and of course you can check eBay.

Excellent idea, would a silicone adhesive do the job of holding/positioning keys to the backboard within a sealed unit.?
    I like this idea of art work with keys.

Dear All

Thanks for the interesting replies and ideas. Will now move on to the next stage .... hope to submit pics of the final epic.

Best wishes
    Opensesami

It would only take the silicon to semi fail on one key for the dispaly to look bad -I think copper wire tieing it at two places is more reliable and in keeping with the age of the keys.

Thanks for that Tom. Will go and chat to a UPVC type company as soon as I've unlocked my back door!

Thread Information