Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Default Nib nos #9

I also have a Master #9 but it's in a blue and black box.I tried posting pics but can't get them to go on. I do have the pics on another lock forum.

I saw yours over on KP, I wonder which box is older? I've got several miniature padlocks in my collection, however I don't collect them, they were given to me by others that know I collect locks. Mark
    Mark A. Billesbach

Default Master #9

I think the other box may be older because of the 'cub', where mine only says 'padlock'.

Sorry for not replying to this sooner...

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Weber View Post
    Hey guys,

your conversation seems to be go nicely my friend. Mind if I drop in starting to collect pictures and other things to make another timeline here? [...]
    If by "timeline" you mean a timeline of the changes to just the laminated pin-tumbler ("Secret Service") padlocks by Master, that might be doable in a forum post, but the challenge is obtaining examples of all the different versions of each model made over the years. If "timeline" means a timeline of all Master padlocks (not just the laminated pin-tumbler models), such information could fill a book. Master made a lot of different locks over the years, and a single model may have had several changes made to it over the years. Or it could fill a website, which is what I hope to put online someday... a website that lists all Master products that I'm aware of up to 1998 and list the different versions of each model where known. The problem is that I usually have a fairly tight budget for stuff like this (enough to afford the occasional rarity that appears, not enough to gather the more common stuff that I don't have as fast as I'd like) and there is a lot of stuff that I'm aware of but don't own, so I don't have photos of a lot of stuff that should be pictured on the website (as the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words), and I'd rather not borrow photos from eBay listings as I'm not sure about whether that would be legal "fair use".

If anyone here has NOS Masterlocks to sell please let me know. I am mainly looking for Masterlocks in a good condition. I do not have one with a nickel silver key yet and I am searching for one. I am also searching for a laminated cutaway lock from Masterlock and others like these here:

[links removed]

This should be the walking lion you referred to earlier. I have the one with the lion head and may post a picture later. I am also going to get a whole package with the lion head logo locks. I do not have the one with the walking lion yet. The person in that video is a friend of mine. I can ask him where he got this info from if you want to. He did send me some of my most beautiful collector items in the past, very nice fella!
    The #77 "Jungle King" padlocks with the walking lion are not rare (except for N.O.S. ones in the original boxes, which ARE rare), so keep an eye out and a good used example with an original key should appear on eBay before too long. The later #77 padlocks with the lion head logo are exceedingly common (though do note that on the earliest ones from the 1940s, the front and back of the padlock did not have an embossed border).

The #88 "Jungle King" padlocks (the brass version of the #77, made from August 1932 to the late 1930s according to an old post by BBE) seem to be a little bit more rare than the walking-lion #77, but not very rare as they do appear on eBay from time to time, so with a bit of patience you might be able to get one. Note, however, that there are a few people out there who appear to think that brass Master keyed padlocks are rare and worth spending good money on (they aren't), so when a good #88 does appear, there is a possibility you'd have to pay a not-so-cheap price for it.

I am also looking for the Masterlock No.47 or No.48

[...]
    Master #47 "Tiger" padlocks aren't uncommon on eBay, though N.O.S. examples in the original box definitely are (that was a sweet Etsy listing for two of them... I'll be keeping an eye on that site). #48 "Brass Tiger" padlocks seem to be a little less common, but still appear on eBay from time to time. Most of these padlocks have a "PATENT PENDING" marking on the back and are only marked "MASTER" and "NO. 47" (or 48) on the front, but the (hard-to-find) last ones made also had the Master lion head logo on the front and a "PATENTED" marking on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Weber View Post
    Someone is obviously outbidding me on this one:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/271308195876?...84.m1438.l2649

Ha! It wasn't me, but I know who it was...

29 bucks is a bit high for a well-used #77 like that, in my opinion. Again, keep an eye out and a good example with an original key should appear.

Good thing I did not bid any further on it then
    If I know a friend is bidding on something I am not going to bid though.

Thank you very much for all that information!
    I have just bought a Tiger padlock from Ebay, looks like a nice piece

I will keep looking for the other ones missing now but I nearly have everything I wanted so far. I was even able to acquire older laminated versions with the nickel silver key, they are still in the US though.

Default Master Padlock Lion Logo Key Dates Wanted

Hi team, there are some NOS uncut walking lion brass keys on Ebay now...Donnie

Default walking lion brass key

No thanks. I'll keep the 18 I already have.

I must be blind, can't find them

Default brass keys

adrian...i found them on page 2

I am still not able to find them... I search for vintage and antique masterlock and also for lion padlock, nothing.

Thread Information