Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default E.cotterill key , does anyone still make them.

Need a spare , so if anyone knows anybody who can make one please let me know. Thanks in advance.

267FF75192954F019323A768D8BF39A812763000 1

If no one steps up to the plate over there, I would be happy to make one for you. Doug

Default Key cut

That's great thanks. How long does it take and what are the costs. Thanks

I used to do a lot of them- they're not the easiest or quickest of keys to make though- always cut by hand to the lock- which often uncovered hidden problems unknown to the owner! With the rare lock in good condition they're a pleasure to work on, but so many are now worn beyond- although a lock may be 'working', making a duplicate often became a major task which most couldn't justify the expense for. Your key does look nice condition so hopefully the lock is the same!

I used to make a lot of the sliders as they were prone to cracking on the slots of the false notches, and John Rattue- the 'Spring Man' used to supply the tiny replacement springs. Back then we had a whole box of original blanks inherited from a company who'd stocked up in the 1920s.

Doug sounds keen so I'd definitely see what he can do for you- I don't think there are too many out there who are geared up to working on these now
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 03-08-19 at 08:43 PM. Reason: Updated 3/8/19

Thank yoo max.
    I think I've found a local locksmith so just a matter of taking the lock out.

Just make sure the locksmith knows what he's dealing with. I've seen many locks gutted and destroyed by those that think they can do a key but actually they don't know what they are doing.

I used to them and bramah, always fabricating from scratch. It's an expensive and time consuming exercise and as Max says very often the lock required attention too.

Max - Is john still around ? (google answered that - he's retired)

Default Can a key be made for Cotterill Climax detector that has no key

This is my first post to this forum. I am thinking of buying a cotterill climax detector with no key and was wondering if its possible to make a quality key for the lock without injury to the lock. Max, would you take on something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by MaxVaultage View Post
    I used to do a lot of them- they're not the easiest or quickest of keys to make though- always cut by hand to the lock- which often uncovered hidden problems unknown to the owner! With the rare lock in good condition they're a pleasure to work on, but so many are now worn beyond- although a lock may be 'working', making a duplicate often became a major task which most couldn't justify the expense for. Your key does look nice condition so hopefully the lock is the same!

I used to make a lot of the sliders as they were prone to cracking on the slots of the false notches, and John Rattue- the 'Spring Man' used to supply the tiny replacement springs. Back then we had a whole box of original blanks inherited from a company who'd stocked up in the 1920s.

I handmade a one-off brass key back in the 90's with square-cut Garnets set by hand around both sides of the key bow- time and cost simply wasn't an issue- Could have done with a few more customers like that!

Doug sounds keen so I'd definitely see what he can do for you- I don't think there are too many out there who are geared up to working on these now

Hello bacade, to be honest if it was me Id hold fire buying one without a key as it'd be too big a gamble.
    Precious few of these locks are perfectly intact and working with all the sliders and springs, so buying one already working with a key makes far more sense and it's also of course more desirable to have the original factory key than a later made duplicate.

They are certainly interesting locks and a lot seem to like them, but I've come to accept that 99% of them are well past their prime and have long since started the irreversible task of chewing themselves to bits, upon which they are of course reborn as a Victorian paperweight.

I recently cut the keys to the locks I've posted on the other thread and despite their appearance every single one has parts and wear issues.
    Making keys to the unknown is of course, an unknown quantity which rarely proves viable, unless the lock is in good working condition or perhaps if it's a rare example.

I'd definitely recommend waiting for a really good condition lock to come up that already has an original working key, that way your money goes where it's worth it and you know exactly what you have

Thanks so much for the sound advice. I first came upon an E. Cotterill Padlock about 15 years ago at antique fair and paid $75 for it. Its in excellent condition with key. Based on my research it appears to be a very rare model combining two patents Wilsons and Acme both stamped on the lock face. I have yet to see another like it. After waiting and searching for 15 years I miraculously acquired two Cotterill padlocks ( both with keys and in good + condition) toward the end of 2015 at reasonable prices compared to the current going prices, which have inflated greatly.

Its taken me 15 years of searching to make these two acquisitions and I have no idea how long it would take to add another to my collection, and thought it might be easier and perhaps worth the risk, to attempt to acquire one without a key ( hopefully at a much cheaper price) and have a key made.

Your old world craftsmanship is an inspiration! Let me know if you might be willing take on a Cotterill key making project for a lock with no key in case I find one that appears in good condition and can be cheaply obtained.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5358.jpg  

Beautiful locks you have there bacade, and well worth the wait I'm sure- it hadn't even entered my head that they would be padlocks.

Thanks for your kind comments on the Climax keys that I made, unfortunately all of my experience is on the safe locks, which unlike the padlocks can be disassembled for key cutting.
    Will have to confess I haven't even held a padlock version of either a Climax or an acme!
    I am able to impression keys to many pin tumbler and disc (wafer) tumbler padlocks in order to avoid their disassembly, but unfortunately I don't think any of those techniques would apply to these.

Realising now that yours are the padlocks of significantly higher value, I have to admit I would emphasise the importance of buying with an original working key even more so- basically it makes far more sense in terms of cost, originality and the end-value.

Thread Information