Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by safeman View Post
    The anti-wedging dove-tail door blocks were the subject of Patent No. 903 taken out by W.Milner and D R Ratcliff in 1865 prompted by the failure of Milner's previous model which received much bad publicity having been wedged open in the Cornhill Robbery the same year.
    The idea for these blocks was taken up by Milners and subsequently after expiry of the patent by many other makers.

Although Chatwood went one better without needing to wait for the patent to run out -instead of attaching blocks, he made the bolts both wedged and hooked.

Default Early Milner Holdfast pictures.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milners fire & fraud resistijg safe 2.JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	8930Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dual__key__Milner__safe__1.Jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	585.0 KB 
ID:	8931
    The safe on the left is an earlier version than yours and the one on the right is later.

I would doubt that the green one is original finish but the one on the right would appear correct for the time.

Default measurements

Hello Tom and Safeman (And all others :)

Many thanks for the informations and the pics. I have now all the measurements in mm. Hope it can help more. For the handle, I also think that it was a knob and not a lever. But nothing is sure at this point. Give me your comments about the key. How was the original key head? Is it the original tip? You know, when my father found the safe in 1964, I think that the key was broken in the hole. This is why he didn't make any hole in the door. He has probably welded one standard brass head to use the key.
    I have also place some pics from ebay, similar to my safe. Thanks to compare.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Safe measurements.jpg   Key measurements.jpg   From Web-1.jpg   From Web 2.jpg   From Web 3.jpg  

From Web 4.jpg   From Web 5.jpg  

I am intrigued... Care to share the (long) story? You say your father found it in 1964, the year of my birth. I now feel really olde

Quote Originally Posted by serrurierjarb View Post
    This is a special safe for us here with a long story.

Default Mesurments in mm

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Gordon View Post
    You would need to measure in mm the exact distances between the centre of the screw holes on each
    Hello Tom. Can take a look on the pics with mesurments in the past thread. Give me your comments Thanks.

Thread Information