Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need parts for my old Milners safe

Hello all. I have an old milners safe(serial 113711). Need a lot of parts to restore the unit. It's a safe with styling trims on the door, with flowers in the corners. The round plate is missing on the top of the door, the banner is missing on the lower part of the door, the sliding cover on the key cover plate is missing and the handle(knob or lever?) is missing too. This is a special safe for us here with a long story. The body was black and the center of the door was green. I have the key but the head is missing. Inside, there is nothing. No drawer, no shelve. The inside color seem to be a old flat red primer. On the back of the door, there is a poster with different Milner's safe pictures. Unfortunately, this poster is really damaged. If someone can help, you are welcome. Any informations or parts will be a great gift for me. I can pay for the parts and the shipping from anywhere.
    Thanks in advance.

Default Some pics

Here are some pics to help identification.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Default The Milner Safe

You will be able to pick up some of the brass work from Ebay UK. The escutcheon could be replaced entirely.
    Most of the parts are quite cheep but you need to ensure you bid on the correct ones. Compare your safe to library photos to see the design of the missing bits

Default Milners identification and parts.

Thanks for your answer and your trick, I am on ebay from long time but not easy to find. There are many styles and models. This is why I am trying to get more informations about my safe. I need to be able to know what was the escutcheon and the banner, the knob, etc... Any help will be appreciated.

The handle on my larger version was a big plane L-shaped lever. Solid brass.

Try link www.safeman.org.uk just seen it in safes. There is a pic of your safe as it would have been 'done up' a few years ago. The handle is the same as the one I had in store. Boltwork looks the same. I searched for a photo in my archives but no luck.

Quote Originally Posted by serrurierjarb View Post
    Hello all. I have an old milners safe(serial 113711). Need a lot of parts to restore the unit. It's a safe with styling trims on the door, with flowers in the corners. The round plate is missing on the top of the door, the banner is missing on the lower part of the door, the sliding cover on the key cover plate is missing and the handle(knob or lever?) is missing too. This is a special safe for us here with a long story. The body was black and the center of the door was green. I have the key but the head is missing. Inside, there is nothing. No drawer, no shelve. The inside color seem to be a old flat red primer. On the back of the door, there is a poster with different Milner's safe pictures. Unfortunately, this poster is really damaged. If someone can help, you are welcome. Any informations or parts will be a great gift for me. I can pay for the parts and the shipping from anywhere.
    Thanks in advance.
    If you did enough measurements then I could help you with the nameplaque, escutcheon and swag but you would have to get the handle from someone else
    Tom

Default mesurements infos

Hello Tom

I have finally my informations. The safe's external dimentions are 28 inches high, 22 inches wide, 22 inches deep. The round plate has 8 inches. The banner, left to the right, 9 3/4 inches. The ring under the handle had 2 1/2. I have took all the mesurements with the print on the paint surface.

For the handle, I don't know what kind it was. Round Knob? Octagonal Knob? Lever?

Give me all what you can on that safe specifications. Also, I have place two pictures of the key I have. The head is not the original one but I don't know for the rest. Can you give your opinion.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image(1).jpeg   image.jpeg  

You would need to measure in mm the exact distances between the centre of the screw holes on each

Default Your Milner Safe.

This appears to be a Milner List 3 'Strong Holdfast' safe made around 1869.

The body as can be seen under the front band is 1/4" wrought iron plate. The anti-wedging dove-tail door blocks were the subject of Patent No. 903 taken out by W.Milner and D R Ratcliff in 1865 prompted by the failure of Milner's previous model which received much bad publicity having been wedged open in the Cornhill Robbery the same year.

The idea for these blocks was conceived by a Manchester detective by the name of Sutcliffe before being taken up by Milners and subsequently after expiry of the patent by many other makers.

I suggest that the bolt operating handle would have been a round or hexagonal shape as was usual on a round spindle.

I attach rather poor copies of advertising labels of a type similar to that on the back of the fire chamber.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Early milner label.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	8881Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milner adv.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	8883Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Milner Label.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	110.1 KB