Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Question Looking for more information on this church door lock

1938? This lock is on a church entry door. it has a rotary dial lock with a rain cover, there is an american eagle on the cover of the rain cover. has asked people about it at antique stores and no one can tell me about it. Does anyone have information or put me in another direction to go to about how I find information about this lock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails church door.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by erica88 View Post
    1938? This lock is on a church entry door. it has a rotary dial lock with a rain cover, there is an american eagle on the cover of the rain cover. has asked people about it at antique stores and no one can tell me about it. Does anyone have information or put me in another direction to go to about how I find information about this lock
    The lock was sold under the brand name 'Diallock' in the late 1950's, 1960's and maybe even the early 1970's. The company no longer exists. You can find a lock on Ebay from time to time but even there they are rare. I am not aware of the cover ever being available and it is likely that someone may have had it made locally.
    BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    The lock was sold under the brand name 'Diallock' in the late 1950's, 1960's and maybe even the early 1970's. The company no longer exists. You can find a lock on Ebay from time to time but even there they are rare. I am not aware of the cover ever being available and it is likely that someone may have had it made locally.
    BBE.

Thank you. I have to tell my uncle. My uncle bought a church and this lock is on the entry door. he brought me a picture today to show me. and wanted me to help him find more information. he has showed a few people and have stumped them all.

Wow! A combination lock with a telephone-style rotary dial? Who'd have thunk?

Quote Originally Posted by Retro00064 View Post
    Wow! A combination lock with a telephone-style rotary dial? Who'd have thunk?
    Attached is a pdf from a 1960s distributor catalog showing Dialoc.

Pete Schifferli
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for that, Pete. How ironic that that catalog page shows a "Model 500" (though why have the two model numbers been swapped using (so it appears) a typewriter?), which was the same model number used by the Bell System/Western Electric for their standard rotary-dial desk telephone of the time...LOL.

Smile

thank you Pete Very helpful

Default Dialoc

Quote Originally Posted by erica88 View Post
    Searched hear on this site.

DH

http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...ghlight=dialoc

Question dialoc rotary lock, I have 4 of them in my house...

I know you posted this years ago, hopefully you've found more information on them since. I have 4 total in my house we just bought. The main front door does have the original american eagle cover as well, but its the only one set up to have had it, but all are fully in tact. But no one knew the combinations or how to go about using them. I took a couple apart and have gotten one working again but I'm trying to get the rest to work, and I'd like to change the combinations but I cant find anything anywhere with the instructions on how to do so, and I haven't convinced myself to go against the nice little sticker in it on the cover of the combination area that says both-do not remove the bolts to this cover piece, and do not attempt to change the combination with out the proper instructions- but I think I'm going to have to. 2 of them the dial doesnt sound or feel like its actually moving the pieces inside. does anyone have the instructions on changing the combinations or suggestions on what I should do to fix the dial itself?

Default Possibly...

I know someone that recently got one off Ebay still in the box. I'll see if he has and can copy any paperwork.
    Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by ashley6387 View Post
    I know you posted this years ago, hopefully you've found more information on them since. I have 4 total in my house we just bought. The main front door does have the original american eagle cover as well, but its the only one set up to have had it, but all are fully in tact. But no one knew the combinations or how to go about using them. I took a couple apart and have gotten one working again but I'm trying to get the rest to work, and I'd like to change the combinations but I cant find anything anywhere with the instructions on how to do so, and I haven't convinced myself to go against the nice little sticker in it on the cover of the combination area that says both-do not remove the bolts to this cover piece, and do not attempt to change the combination with out the proper instructions- but I think I'm going to have to. 2 of them the dial doesnt sound or feel like its actually moving the pieces inside. does anyone have the instructions on changing the combinations or suggestions on what I should do to fix the dial itself?

Thread Information