Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Junkunc Bros. American Lock H10 Padlock - Oldest/First Ball Bearing Padlock???

Hello everyone,

I was recently able to acquire this most beautiful and old Junkunc Bros. American Lock H10 padlock. I was very eager to get it since this H10 was in a very good condition. I have heard that American Lock was the company that invented the ball bearing security padlock as we mainly know it today. Is that true? The Patent dates back to 1927 but I do not believe mine to be that old. I know several of the American Lock Logos and this is not the oldest. As soon as I find my pictures on the Logos again I will post them here. Is there a way to determine how old my padlock is? Does anyone have a timeline to the American Lock Logos? Are there other early ball bearing padlocks that should be mentioned or that were maybe earlier than this one? A friend was talking about the Chubb Ava or the Squire HS2, both should also be quite old. I do not have a patent number on them though (I am interested in these patent numbers of course).

I was also not aware that this padlock is still in production. It is now called the AH10, I am not sure if it is any different but it does look the same. The H10 was and still is used in harsh environments as also outdoors due to its weather resistant wafer cylinder mechanism.

I am very happy to have a piece like this in my collection and would appreciate any information
    PS: The pictures are 50% smaller than the originals.

Hope you enjoy!

Adrian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.Junkunc Bros. American Lock - H10 Padlock (1).JPG   001.Junkunc Bros. American Lock - H10 Padlock (2).JPG   001.Junkunc Bros. American Lock - H10 Padlock (3).JPG   001.Junkunc Bros. American Lock - H10 Padlock (4).JPG   001.Junkunc Bros. American Lock - H10 Padlock (5).JPG  

001.Junkunc Bros. American Lock - H10 Padlock (6).JPG   001.Junkunc Bros. American Lock - H10 Padlock (7).JPG   001.Junkunc Bros. American Lock - H10 Padlock (8).JPG   001.Junkunc Bros. American Lock - H10 Padlock (9).JPG   001.Junkunc Bros. American Lock - H10 Padlock (10).JPG  

001.Junkunc Bros. American Lock - H10 Padlock (11).JPG   001.Junkunc Bros. American Lock - H10 Padlock (12).JPG   001.Junkunc Bros. American Lock - H10 Padlock (13).JPG   001.Junkunc Bros. American Lock - H10 Padlock (14).JPG   001.Junkunc Bros. American Lock - H10 Padlock (15).JPG  

Thread Information