Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Awatson View Post
    Attachment 15386Attachment 15387Attachment 15388 I am looking for some information about this lock, specifically when the lock was made. From what I can tell, the key is newer than the lock, since it seems to have a newer logo. I have seen a lot of locks like this online but no one can seem to tell me when it was made. There is nothing on the back of the lock and I can't find any kind of date code that people have talked about. I know I am about two years late posting on this thread but any information would be greatly helpful. I know the lock isn't really worth anything, I am just asking out of pure curiosity. Thanks!
    I have an undated Junkunc Bros. American Lock Co. Catalog No. 9 which shows the KC-40. I'm guessing the catalog is ca. 1960s. The image shows the earlier Junkunc Bros. logo on the padlock body so yours was likely made subsequent to that date, perhaps 1970's or thereafter? That model is not found in the American Lock Co. Catalog No. 14 from 1982.

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Awatson View Post
    Attachment 15386Attachment 15387Attachment 15388 I am looking for some information about this lock, specifically when the lock was made. From what I can tell, the key is newer than the lock, since it seems to have a newer logo. I have seen a lot of locks like this online but no one can seem to tell me when it was made. There is nothing on the back of the lock and I can't find any kind of date code that people have talked about. I know I am about two years late posting on this thread but any information would be greatly helpful. I know the lock isn't really worth anything, I am just asking out of pure curiosity. Thanks!
    The KC-40 appears in my undated Junkunc Bros. American Lock Co. Catalog No. 9. I'm guessing that it was printed ca. 1960s. The catalog image shows the Junkunc Bros. logo rather than the later American marque on the padlock body thus I would guess yours dates to 1970s or thereafter. It does not show in the later American Lock Co. Catalog 14 dated 1982.

Pete Schifferli

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    The KC-40 appears in my undated Junkunc Bros. American Lock Co. Catalog No. 9. I'm guessing that it was printed ca. 1960s. The catalog image shows the Junkunc Bros. logo rather than the later American marque on the padlock body thus I would guess yours dates to 1970s or thereafter. It does not show in the later American Lock Co. Catalog 14 dated 1982.

Pete Schifferli
    Thanks for the information Pete!

Default American Lock Manufacturing Co of Chicago

American Lock Manufacturing Co of Chicago appears in the Automobile Trade Directory of January 1922. The ad indicates it was formerly Baird Lock Company and uses the trademark, "Grip Tumbler."

Edward P Baird was instrumental in the development of the "modern" wafer lock in the early teens while working with King Lock Company first, and then his own company, Chicago Cabinet Lock Company. After selling Chicago Cabinet Lock in 1921 to William Shinn, who changed the name to Chicago Lock, he formed Baird Lock Company. The actual formation of American Lock Manufacturing Company is still a mystery to me, but Baird Lock Co and American Lock Manufacturing Co shared the same address on LaSalle Street in early 1922. By August 1922 the two companies had moved, and again shared the same address, this time on Wells Street.

Quote Originally Posted by exwisehe View Post
    American Lock Manufacturing Co of Chicago appears in the Automobile Trade Directory of January 1922. The ad indicates it was formerly Baird Lock Company and uses the trademark, "Grip Tumbler."
    From Locks and Lockmakers of America, Rev. 3rd Edition, (c) 1976, 1997 by Thomas F. Hennessy, pg. 79:

In 1912 John Junkunc, who had arrived from his native Hungary several years before, worked as a railroad machinist in Boise, Idaho. In his spare time, he loved to invent and to improve things mechanically. So he designed and built a number of gadgets and small tools. One of these was a keyless (combination) padlock, which it is said he invented out of necessity because of constantly misplacing the keys for a regular key padlock used on his job.

It could be said that the Junkunc Bros. - American Lock Co. really had its start with this padlock. Fellow workers were so fascinated with the keyless padlock that the young inventor was literally "snowed under" with orders. He eventually had to resign his regular job with the railroad and devote his time to "manufacturing" combination padlocks. Several years later, he moved to Chicago where he married and set up manufacturing operations in the basement of the family home on 76th Street.

In addition to the combination padlock, two of the young inventor's other padlock designs were the company's now famous ball-locking key padlock and ring-type padlock for the exposed spare tires carried on early automobiles. Old employees of the firm recall with pride when "The Boss" bought a new shiny, black Model T Ford in 1920. He promptly improved the purchase with a new idea for a combination throttle-steering lock, which was later marketed with success. This was followed by the development and introduction of the hardened shackle and a complete line of solid extruded padlocks having the steel locking ball feature. (much more info can be found in the volume cited above)

Pete Schifferli

Default american lock mfg co

was just pointing out the origin of american lock, a company which was acquired by junkunc...

Default american lock mfg co

january 1922
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails american lock mfg co.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by exwisehe View Post
    was just pointing out the origin of american lock, a company which was acquired by junkunc...
    Yes, it is said that Junkunc Bros. acquired American Lock Co. in 1919; a detail not mentioned in the late Tom Hennessy's book.

Pete Schifferli

Default acquisition of american lock mfg co

i suspect american lock was acquired by junkunc in 1922 or later... not really a big deal in the whole scheme of things, but might as well try for accuracy when we find conflicting information...

Pete,i just recieved my ALCA mag and Robert Dix has an article from Gil Junckunc in it about their history.
    I still see i believe a yellow vette with license plate saying JUNCKUNC on it

Thread Information