Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Here are some pictures of the newest objects that I just got, six in total.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 003.American Lock KC40 Padlock.JPG   002.American Lock KC40 Padlock.JPG   001.American Lock KC40 Padlock.JPG   004.American Lock KC40 Padlock.JPG   005.American Lock KC40 Padlock.JPG  

006.American Lock KC40 Padlock.JPG   007.American Lock KC40 Padlock.JPG   008.American Lock KC40 Padlock.JPG   009.American Lock KC40 Padlock.JPG  

Very nice!!

Thanks jeff I will post the pictures of the timeline later :)

Default : Junkunc Bros. American Lock H10 Padlock - Oldest/First Ball Bearing Padlock???

Adrian, are you going with the assumption that the die cast lock was in production before the Iron or Brass one's that we have been discussing ? For lack of a known model #, I will refer to these (Brass & Iron ) lock's as the model 10...You know what I mean, the series 10 or H 10 or whatever they were called back then....I have the same die cast lock that you are showing with the U.S. on the reverse side.........Have you been able to date this lock?
    ...........NICE FIND..............Donnie

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    Adrian, are you going with the assumption that the die cast lock was in production before the Iron or Brass one's that we have been discussing ? For lack of a known model #, I will refer to these (Brass & Iron ) lock's as the model 10...You know what I mean, the series 10 or H 10 or whatever they were called back then....I have the same die cast lock that you are showing with the U.S. on the reverse side.........Have you been able to date this lock?
    ...........NICE FIND..............Donnie
    Just a guess, but probably WWII when other materials were in short supply.
    BBE.

Junkunc Bros. American Lock Co.

“We are going to do one thing — make padlocks — and we’re going to do it better than anyone else!” (John Junkunc)

• 1912 – John Junkunc a machinist and immigrant from Hungary is tiered of misplacing his keys and invents the worlds first keyless dial combination padlock

(Patented Feb. 01, 1910 – US Patent 948280)
    (Patented Oct. 29, 1912 – US Patent 1042447)
    (Patented Jan. 31, 1922 – US Patent 1404968)

• Later on Junkunc quits his job as a railroad mechanist and concentrates only on producing combination padlocks (in his homes basement)
    • 1919 – Larger facilities are needed and Junkunc decides to buy the “American Lock Company”. With the knowledge of American Lock in manufacturing cylinders the “Junkunc Bros. American Lock Co.” also starts producing padlocks that are operated by a key
    • 1924 – January 17. John Junkunc together with the Junkunc Bros. American Lock Co. invents the first padlock that is locked by solid steel ball bearings. The shackle and the padlock body are both made out of hardened steel. The padlocks model number is “H10”

(Patented Nov. 23, 1926 – US Patent 1607758)

• 1960 – The company settles in Crete, Illinois, just south of Chicago
    • 2003 – American Lock is acquired by Masterlock

Junkunc Bros. acquired, and became "successors" to American Lock Co. in 1919 that is also the reason why some of the earlier padlocks are marked with the “Junkunc Bros. Succr’s to American Lock Co” Logo.

Many newer American Lock bodies are stamped with a code that can be decrypted to a date in order indicate when the lock body was made. Older American Locks have a code that we were not able to decode yet. For example “K1V106962” on an old American Lock K60 padlock or “H71727” on an old H10 padlock.

Z=Jan, Y=Feb, X=Mar, W=Apr, V=May, U=June, T=Jul, S=Aug, R=Sept, Q=Oct, P=Nov, O=Dec
    N=1, M=2, L=3, K=4, J=5, I=6, H=7, G=8, F=9, E=0

Example: X H J x = March 1975 (disregard the last character)

The oldest American Padlocks are marked with "Patents Pend. American Lock Co. Chicago. U.S.A." Featuring "American Lock" (not "American Locks") and a line between "American Lock" and "Chicago U.S.A." on the key. This key may also say "Grip Tumbler" on it; this version also features a fine textured background. The shackles of these American Lock padlocks have a crater despite a half moon cut out for the ball bearings and may open on the left side with the toe side of the shackle. Older versions of the American Lock H10 padlock may not have a “pin” that holds the shackle in place. This “pin” is normally visible on the back of the padlock (please also see H10 Specimen).

“Junkunc Bros. American Lock” padlock Specimen age:

The address on the package of the vintage NOS H10 padlock uses the old postal zone system "Chicago 21, Ill.", meaning it can not be any earlier than 1943 and probably not later than the1960s because the ZIP code system replaced the postal zone system in 1963.

“Junkunc Bros. American Lock” (shield logo) zinc die cast Specimen age:

This construction may be introduced during the time of the Second World War as other materials were short in supply these days.

I have to post the pictures of the keys later. I was also thinking of putting all this into a pdf file but did not do it yet. Some people may find their own contribution altered in this text and I hope you do not mind. I have to thank each and everyone of you because without you this small research would not have been possible. I may add more information or pictures to this in the future. I do not take responsibility for the information!

It would be nice if the title could be changed to "Junkunc Bros. American Lock - Timeline and earliest ball bearing H10 Padlock"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 000.Patents Pend. American Lock - Earliest Logo.jpg   001.Junkunc Bros.  Succr's To American Lock - Oldest Logo.JPG   002.Junkunc Bros. American Lock - Oldest Logo.JPG   003.Junkunc Bros. American Lock - Older Logo.JPG   004.Junkunc Bros. American Lock - Old Logo.JPG  

004.Junkunc Bros. American Lock - Old Logo (2).JPG   005.American Lock - New Logo.JPG   006.American Lock - Newer Logo (1).JPG   006.American Lock - Newer Logo (2).JPG   050.Patents Pend. American Lock - Earliest Logo.jpg  

007.American Lock - Newest Logo.JPG   051.Junkunc Bros.  Succr's To American Lock - Oldest Logo.JPG   052.Junkunc Bros. American Lock - Oldest Logo.JPG   053.Junkunc Bros. American Lock - Older Logo.JPG   054.Junkunc Bros. American Lock - Old Logo.JPG  

054.Junkunc Bros. American Lock - Old Logo (2).JPG   055.American Lock - New Logo.JPG   056.American Lock - Newer Logo (1).JPG   056.American Lock - Newer Logo (2).JPG   057.American Lock - Newest Logo.JPG  

I may add that I am always looking to improve my collection on American Lock padlocks by acquiring more Specimens and I would be happy to trade if or buy any American Padlock that you may think can be interesting. Preferably NOS with keys and with package

Adrian

Oh,

I nearly forgot to add...

The American Lock logos do not have dates yet as we were not able to date them yet.
    Any help in dating the logos and in which time span they have been used is highly appreciated!

Yet another Junkunc padlock but combination type this time.

Patent number US1404968 from 1922.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 270.Junkunc Combination Padlock.JPG   271.Junkunc Combination Padlock.JPG   220.Junkunc Combination Padlock - Logo.JPG  

Default American Lock Co Series KC - 40

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	785.1 KB 
ID:	15386Click image for larger version. 

Views:	12 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	15387Click image for larger version. 

Views:	12 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	15388 I am looking for some information about this lock, specifically when the lock was made. From what I can tell, the key is newer than the lock, since it seems to have a newer logo. I have seen a lot of locks like this online but no one can seem to tell me when it was made. There is nothing on the back of the lock and I can't find any kind of date code that people have talked about. I know I am about two years late posting on this thread but any information would be greatly helpful. I know the lock isn't really worth anything, I am just asking out of pure curiosity. Thanks!

Thread Information