Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Hey Donnie,

thanks again for all the effort! I would also be highly interested in that 1st padlock if he has it and is willing to sell it. I would like to make the timeline as complete as possible and also have all of the padlocks here if possible.

Okay, I finally took some photos of the early H10 I acquired, so here they are as promised. This padlock evidently had been sitting around for a while unlocked with the key in it, as not only is the key bent but there was an old cocoon from a spider or something filling the area of hole for the shackle toe below the locking ball! Nevertheless, it still works, though it would work more smoothly if lubricated (I was considering perhaps buying some 3-IN-ONE oil and using that instead of WD-40, but what would you folks recommend?). I like how the "Grip Tumbler" key has a fine texture background on both sides; it looks nice.

Note the recessed/cut-out portion of the heel of the shackle next to the notch/crater for the ball. I'm not sure what that's for. Also note the ring around the cylinder on the bottom, not found on Adrian's later H10.

Again, feel free to use these photos as you see fit if you wish, Adrian.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Early American Lock H10 padlock 1.jpg   Early American Lock H10 padlock 1.1.jpg   Early American Lock H10 padlock 2.jpg   Early American Lock H10 padlock 3.jpg   Early American Lock H10 padlock 4.jpg  

Early American Lock H10 padlock 5.jpg   Early American Lock H10 padlock 6.jpg   Early American Lock Grip Tumbler key 1.jpg   Early American Lock Grip Tumbler key 2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Retro00064 View Post
    (I was considering perhaps buying some 3-IN-ONE oil and using that instead of WD-40, but what would you folks recommend?)
    Technically, WD-40 is not a lubricant. It's been described more like a solution of kerosene and soap. But I would also like to hear what others recommend for the lock mechanism. As for the cylinder, I've always heard that dry graphite is best.

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post
    Technically, WD-40 is not a lubricant. It's been described more like a solution of kerosene and soap. But I would also like to hear what others recommend for the lock mechanism. As for the cylinder, I've always heard that dry graphite is best.
    Dry graphite has pretty much fallen out of preference these days, those that use a dry powder today tend to use molybenium disulfide, (hope I spelled that right). I suggest a silicone or teflon based lubricant once both have been flushed out with something like WD-40. BTW, the WD stands for Water Displacement and it was formula 40. WD-40 will get gummy if you use too much of it due to the cooling from the propellant. Gummy of course isn't good as it tends to stop the tumblers from moving freely and grabs the debris it is supposed to be flushing out.

During assembly today the factory uses a light grease around the ball bearings. Its primary purpose is to hold the balls out of the way while the actuator is loaded into the body. Vaseline petroleum jelly would serve the same purpose. Once the locks are hung somewhere outside the heat from the sun will liquify the grease and it will lubricate the rest of the lock as it flows downward. Typicaly that lubricate will last for decades unless the lock is in a dusty environment, then it needs to be flushed periodically.
    BBE.

Default Junkunc Bros American Lock

My lock & key is the same as yours except the body is Brass, the gouge in the shackle is a bit wider, could be from wear, & there id no ring around the key hole...?????
    The first digit of the small # on the top front is a G, not sure id they were alphabetical or not...Our lock's are similar ..........to a degree...I will post some close up photos when I can........Donnie

Quote Originally Posted by wylk View Post

WD 40 is mainly fish oil......Donnie

How about a product called "LOCK SAVER" any one use it ?
    Opinion's please......Donnie

First of all thank you Retro for the pictures as I do not have this type of American Lock yet and I will make sure to include your picture of this particular logo in the timeline my friend

I would like to keep the conversation on the locks rather than on lubrication. However I myself am using Tunap MP101 synthetic grease for the ball bearings and Tunap Tunpro40 for cylinder locks. I use the Tunap MP102 synthetic oil for lever locks and moving parts that are a bit bigger but still need penetration. I have done several videos on these products and also a review of Locksaver. I would recommend Locksaver when ever you have a dusty environment or situations where a completely dry lubricant comes in handy. My carpenter is using Locksaver since I have shown it to him for example.

I have just bought another lock with a pure Junkunc Logo, this might be even earlier than the others or?

Here are the links to the item:
    https://img1.etsystatic.com/011/1/58...quj.jpg?ref=l2
    https://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/58...971.jpg?ref=l2
    https://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/58...828.jpg?ref=l2
    https://img1.etsystatic.com/000/0/58...987.jpg?ref=l2
    https://img1.etsystatic.com/015/0/58...j8i.jpg?ref=l2

Adrian

Cool Junkunc Bros American Lock

SORRY ! Adrian, someone suggested WD40 & I WAS JUST RESPONDING TO HIS QUERY !
    ................I didn't mean to upset you
    Does your combination lock open with 2 digit's or 3 ?

Hey Donnie,

you did not upset me at all so don't worry please
    Just want to focuse on the locks rather than on the lubrication for now. I will make some short presentation videos on Tunap and Locksaver. Explaining how I use what and why. I will post these together with a discussion in the Colti part of the Forum then!

I just bought this padlock and do not have it here yet but will make sure to tell you as soon as I get it!

Thread Information