Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

I did more digging in the completed listings on eBay a few nights ago and found a couple of padlocks with the "PATENTS PEND."/"AMERICAN LOCK CO."/"CHICAGO U.S.A." markings and "JUNKUNC BROS. SUCCESSORS TO AMERICAN LOCK CO."/"GRIP TUMBLER CYLINDER LOCKS" keys, such as this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Amer...-/121147817088

Note that the lock is marked on both sides.

I also saw some padlocks with the "JUNKUNC BROS. SUCCR'S TO AMERICAN LOCK CO." markings that had the same "JUNKUNC BROS. AMERICAN LOCKS" key design as my lock and Adrian's lock.

Soooo it looks like the padlocks with the aforementioned Junkunc-less American Lock Co. markings are actually the earliest ones, with the "...SUCCR'S TO..." locks being the second earliest.

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    If you page along further, a pdf scan of American Lock Catalog 14 (c1962?) can also be found.

Pete Schifferli
    Thanks for the tip! Those "Unclassified" galleries can contain some cool stuff. I downloaded the PDF and the copyright year on the back of the catalog is 1982.

Can I have a copy of that 2003 American Lock catalog too, by the way?

Adrian, click the second link in my previous post, and in the resulting page, click the "Document Description" box near the top left of the page and select "Unclassified", then skip to page 15 of the gallery. Download the PDF to view the gallery in higher resolution.

Got it thanks Retro

Soooo it looks like the padlocks with the aforementioned Junkunc-less American Lock Co. markings are actually the earliest ones
    Which ones do you exactly mean with that now? You got me a bit confused
    I just bought one with the Grip Tumbler on the key and have a box of the ones with the shield logo incomming. Not sure if I have that one that you just referred to.

Sorry. I was referring to the locks with the "PATENTS PEND."/"AMERICAN LOCK CO."/"CHICAGO, U.S.A." markings, with no mention of Junkunc Bros. (except on the keys), as seen in the above eBay link.

Hey Retro,

thanks again! I believe you could be right on that info that this is maybe the oldest version. It does open normally though (toe side of the shackle on the right side and not on the left). Also interesting that the marking on key says "American Lock" and not "American Locks" and there is a line between "American Lock" and "Chicago U.S.A.". Another interesting feature would be the milled craters in the shackle instead of the normal half moon cuts. The craters are the same than on mine "Junkunc Bros. Succr's To" padlock.

Too bad I do not have this padlock for the timeline :(
    I do not want to take online pictures as they are not mine and I can not find a listing for a padlock like this one on Ebay. If ANYONE has this padlock and is willing for a nice trade or sale please let me know!

I would like to make the timeline as complete as possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 900.Junkunc American Ball Bearing.JPG  

Question Junkunc Bros American Lock

I have a lot of these locks from early to cad. plated late ones..Iron, brass, & nickel plated.
    Junkunc on one side, some on both sides...American only as I had in the previous photo. Some open on the left, some on the right ......You guys have me totally confused now. & I am not even talking about the alloy ones with the shield.......
    ONLY DISCUSSING THE ROUND LOCKS THAT ARE NOW CALLED THE H10?...
    someone please connect the dots for me.................Donnie

I think this discussion has been about the logos/markings on old American Lock keyed padlocks in general, not just the H10.

Adrian, I just won an eBay auction earlier for another early American Lock padlock that looks like an H10 with those markings and an original "Grip Tumbler" key (this thread made me want one :-). It's condition is not as good as the one I linked to above (the metal is apparently a good amount more darkened/weathered, though it doesn't appear to be rusty), but it doesn't appear to be too bad of an example. When I receive it in the mail, I'll try to take some photos with the American Lock markings reasonably visible, which you can feel free to use.

Hey Donnie, we are not certain at the moment if the opening side of the shackle has anything to do with the age. Retro believes that the padlock that is marked with "Patents Pend. American Lock Co. Chicago. U.S.A." and "American Lock" (not "American Locks") + a line a line between "American Lock" and "Chicago U.S.A." on the key would be the oldest version. This key may also say "Grip Tumbler" on it. The shackles of these have a crater despite a half moon cutout for the ball bearings.

Yes this discussion is also about the Logos and a timeline that I am doing on the Logos at this very moment.
    Here is what I have so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.American Lock Logos and Keys.jpg  

Adrian, you have just described my brass lock & key exactly as I see it.
    The wording on the lock exactly
    The description of the key, exactly..American lock co.: line under the print, then Chicago U.S.A. under the line....then grip tumbler cllinder locks :under the grip tumbler logo on the other side
    The crater for the ball, exactly as described
    I believe this lock to be VERY early in the production of this style padlock
    A better camera will let me document this data

Default American lock

Adrian, another thing that I have learned about this style of lock is that the early locks were missing the "pin" on the backside...The "pin" illustrated in your photo #5 in your 1st post.........I'm not sure why some open opposite from the others, but there must be a reason..........All my early locks open opposite from my later ones.. I bought an early lock from someone on the web a few years ago, I will try to get in touch with him as he told me that he had the 1st version of this lock somewhere in his shop..& would let me know when he found it & would give me 1st choice on buying it..Never heard from him, but will email him for data or buy the lock if he ever found it..................Donnie

Default American lock

Websters dictionary describes successor: one that follows.....person that succeeds another position or ownership of property
    Actually my source of this info. is from a Thorndike- Barnhart dictionary.....Donnie

Thread Information