Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

U.S. denotes a padlock made to order and built to specifications of various US government/military agencies. According to an older American Lock catalog in my possession, Our locks have been in Military Service from World War I.... K1V106962 is likely the key code, presuming a 6-pin mechanism.

...the young inventor's (John Junkunc) other padlock designs were the company's now famous ball-locking key padlock..*

Junkunc Bros. acquired, and became "successors" to American Lock Co. in 1919 see link:
    http://www.americanlock.com/the_amer...rican_lock.jsp

*adapted from Locks and Lockmakers of America, rev. 3rd edition, by Thomas F. Hennessy

Pete Schifferli

Thanks Pete I have just added another book to my list

The lock has a wafer cylinder also see here:
    http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...ock-Co-padlock

Default Junkunc Bros American lock

I am going to try to see if I can get a couple of photo's of my early ones up..
    They open from the other side & do NOT have a pin on the back..back is smooth...Donnie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Junkunc padlock's  early vs. later styles 020.jpg   Junkunc padlock's  early vs. later styles 016.jpg   Junkunc padlock's  early vs. later styles 018.jpg   Junkunc padlock's  early vs. later styles 021.jpg   Junkunc padlock's  early vs. later styles 019.jpg  

Junkunc padlock's  early vs. later styles 017.jpg  

Thanks for adding that information Donnie! Do you have any idea if the shield Logo is the earliest or later than the ones on the H10? That would be interesting to know!

Pete, do you have a scan of that older American Lock catalog?

Adrian

Default Junkunc Bros American Lock

Adrian, I too have a couple of the with the shield, In don't know the answer to your question, mine have U.S. on the reverse side....I too would like to know the sequence in their production........series H 10-----series 10------my brass one has a G with 6 numbers.
    some of the others have more digit's........I think the early ones that open from the other side were early models, I don't claim that as fact, just hear-say...
    I am sorry for the poor quality photo's, my camera defaults to 2002.
    I just bought a Sony cyber super hot shot something, but haven't fooled with it yet
    I should then be able to show close up photo's.........this is as close as I can get with this relic.........Donnie

Default Junkunc Bros American Lock

In my photo showing 5 lock's, the 3 on the right open backwards. Shackle opening on the opposite side from the H10 or Series 10.........Donnie

Interesting Donnie!

I noticed that my brass American Lock also locks from the other side.
    http://www.antique-locks.com/attachm...6&d=1354134730

I do not have one with the shield here yet but I am buying some at the moment at least if everything works out.

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Weber View Post
    Pete, do you have a scan of that older American Lock catalog?
    Adrian
    The catalog is c2003 so only about ten years old, but they were still in Crete, IL prior to becoming a division of Master Lock. It's about twenty pages so the pdf file would probably be small enough to post here or send via eMail. I'll scan it next week when I have time if you still want it.

Pete Schifferli

Sure :)

even though I hoped it to be older

Donnie, do I see a padlock with a similar American Lock Co. logo to the "Succr's To" one except that it has "PATENTS PEND." above the logo and "CHICAGO U.S.A." below the logo, with no Junkunc Bros. name? Cool! I wonder where that one would fit in a timeline of the American Lock markings?

Further evidence that the "Succr's To" locks are earlier:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Junkunc-Bros...5/321220096139

One side of that key has a cool old "Grip Tumbler" logo, while the other side says "Junkunc Bros. Successors to American Lock Co." The "Grip Tumbler" logo suggests to me that this is an earlier key.

Just for what it's worth, I've attached a quick pic of my American Lock padlock with the shield logo. The toe/open end of the shackle is on the right side of the lock. No "U.S." marking on mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Junkunc Bros. American Lock padlock with shield.jpg  

Thread Information