Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Corbin 9904 Padlock?

Hello everyone,

I have recently purchased this padlock but now I am not sure whether it is complete or not. I believe it might be the Corbin 9904 padlock as also shown in the picture from the padlock handbook. However on mine one spring does not seem to be original and there is also something else disturbing. The parts D, E and F seem to be different on mine. E should be the shackle retaining pin which must be there because I can not take the shackle out. The retaining pin cap screw F however seems to me like a brass pin and I can also not remove it. The plug retaining pin D however is a bit too long and there is no space left for retaining pin cap screw F which I do not have anyway.

Are there parts missing?

I really like this padlock and it would be a shame if something that is missing could not be replaced... the hole for part D is threaded.

Thanks in advance,

Adrian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.Vintage Corbin Padlock.JPG   000.Corbin 9904 Padlock.jpg   002.Vintage Corbin Padlock.JPG   003.Vintage Corbin Padlock.JPG   004.Vintage Corbin Padlock.JPG  

005.Vintage Corbin Padlock.JPG   006.Vintage Corbin Padlock.JPG   007.Vintage Corbin Padlock.JPG   008.Vintage Corbin Padlock.JPG   009.Vintage Corbin Padlock.JPG  

010.Vintage Corbin Padlock.JPG   011.Vintage Corbin Padlock.JPG  

What you have there is a "Codeable Padlock" that a locksmith would buy to match to a customers key then put together . The pins that would be pressed and then ground off for the shackle looks to be there, as I have never seen screws as covers only a single pin that was pressed in, have you tried pulling it out? This lock is from 1951 or newer if those are the OEM keys as that keyway and logo was at least pre 1980s but the keyway is a 77. Not a common keyway outside the NE part of the USA. As for the parts missing the locksmith would have a service kit that would have most of what is missing and the pins to the key they wanted it to fit. Outside of that everything looks to be there.

I will bet that BBE might be able to add more as that type of lock was before my time on servicing. When I started we had rekeyable locks from Master, ABUS and Almont. Thank god Almont has gone away as a lock design, have one?

Thanks for the help Dean 28clap29

So the only part missing would be the rivet head for the pin that holds the core in place right? I had the same idea because yet I have only seen padlocks where rivets are used to hold the pins in place within the body and not screws. The keys should be original. I really like their design, beautiful if you ask me!

Was Almont so horrible? I do not have one but would like to have a new one. Searching on ebay from time to time but the old as new ones usually sell for a high price.

As Dean implies, 77 became the default keyway for stock locks in 1951 until it was replaced by the 60 keyway in 1960. Of course, the 77 is still available to order to extend existing systems on that keyway. Yours was designated an "unassembled padlock" and was intended for keying in the field before rekeyable padlocks became readily available. The version shown is likely from the earlier part of that era as later models had individual pin chamber plugs. As an aside, note that all P & F Corbin (as well as Russwin) padlocks were actually made by the then affiliated Corbin Cabinet Lock Co. during those years.

Pete Schifferli

Very interesting information thanks Pete

The padlock is even older then I anticipated!

Quote Originally Posted by dicey View Post
    Very interesting information thanks Pete

The padlock is even older then I anticipated!
    Everyone has pretty well covered it and the only thing I would point out is that there are still unassembled locks available new today from varius manufacturers.
    BBE.

Quote Originally Posted by dicey View Post
    Was Almont so horrible? I do not have one but would like to have a new one. Searching on ebay from time to time but the old as new ones usually sell for a high price.
    From a reliability standpoint it was a good lock and I have several customers that still have them in use after 20-30 years..... I keep hoping they die.

From a service standpoint, yes it was a pain in the rear. If you had to rekey the lock they had these wires to hold the drivers up and if that slipped you had to start over.... and you got good at moving slowly to make sure it didn't slip. If it was master keyed and you had to replace the pin stacks you learned to cut a key that had the lowest cut in all chambers so you can get all the pins out without having to drop the drivers. It required a special tool to reload the drivers, it was painful slow to use if you were in a hurry. So all in all it was time consuming. If I find one I will keep you in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Nickel View Post
    If I find one I will keep you in mind.
    I have three NOS Almont Re-Key padlocks in original packaging that I would consider selling:
    • #134-1 1-3/4" Yale 8
    • #134-2 1-3/4" Kwikset
    • #134-3 1-3/4" Schlage C

These are a little shopworn but otherwise in excellent condition. I also have a couple used ones, reloading tools, retaining tools, instructions and some parts if anyone is interested in making me an offer on some or all of these items.

Pete Schifferli

QUOTE: 'From a reliability standpoint it was a good lock and I have several customers that still have them in use after 20-30 years..... I keep hoping they die'

I can't contribute knowledgeably as I have no experience or knowledge of these unassembled USA Corbin's, but I found that bit seriously amusing Dean

Just out of interest, did you mean the customers or the padlocks? lol

He did hopefully mean the padlocks!

I have three NOS Almont Re-Key padlocks in original packaging that I would consider selling:

• #134-1 1-3/4" Yale 8
    • #134-2 1-3/4" Kwikset
    • #134-3 1-3/4" Schlage C

These are a little shopworn but otherwise in excellent condition. I also have a couple used ones, reloading tools, retaining tools, instructions and some parts if anyone is interested in making me an offer on some or all of these items.

Pete Schifferli
    Thank you very much for that offer Pete, a private message will be on its way shortly!

Thread Information