Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default where is this from?

Has anyone seen a trunk/chest lock like this? This is a reproduction, but I have recently seen an original that dates from 1600. It has the typical "crab" lock mechanism but enclosed in an iron case. Any idea of where it was made or if there are others like it?
    Peter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails jamestown lock exterior.JPG   jamestown lock repro.JPG  

Do you have a picture or a link of the one you’ve seen?

This is the one in our collection although we have never been able to establish its provenance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	claw lock01.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	618.6 KB 
ID:	8454

Have you ever tried contacting the curators from the Hans Shell collection or the ones from the lock museum in Velbert?
    They may know more about it.

Thanks for the suggestions. Being new to this group, I'm not familiar with the various museums that might have material pertaining to these locks. Do you have any specific contact information?
    I'll try to post a photo of the original, though it is an excavated piece and in very poor condition.
    Peter

Yes, I have an original hand made one similar to this but with a triangular taper.
    Very large and was used fior a trunk.

i am not a lockcollector,
    the attached lock is the only i have got,
    it works similar to yours
    late 18.th century, ca. 1780
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6915.jpg  

Gerry this is a nice lock with the key too.
    Are the Case Wards taken out ?
    Many times I find that, someone in times long gone,removes the Case Wards so that mant keys will operate the mechanisn.
    It looks like you have an original key?

Brian..................

Gerry,
    thanks for posting photos of your lock. I have examined a number of these, and you'e right, the mechanism is very similar. the aspect that I'm curious about is that my lock is enclosed in an iron case while yours is made with partly exposed works. It's the variation with the iron case that I'm having a difficult time tracking down. The exposed works variation are much more common.
    Anyone else have any suggestions?
    Peter

Peter, can't help you with specifics on your lock, but from what I've seen the basic mechanism style saw widespread use. And generally speaking, an open case lock often indicates a mortised mounting while a full case, surface mounting. Certainly not a hard and fast rule, but that may be the only reason for the difference in the locks your seeing. Doug

Doug,
    while you're correct about some locks being mounted differently depending on cased construction or not, in this instance there is no difference in mounting. Both the open and cased versions are surface mounted inside the trunk. Almost all surviving examples of crab lock mechanisms are open, which is why I'm trying to find out more about the cased example I have. It seems to be extremely rare.
    Peter

Thread Information