Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I might advise caution on getting this lock to "work". If I am right this lock has not been in use for a very long time and might be brittle and could break easily. As metal ages it will crystallize. This is your lock so you can do as you wish but I thought I would toss that out there.

Thanks for the warning Dean, I will tread carefully, the springs still feel pretty good for their age, but i'm not going to over stress them. Alan.

Cool

That's an impressively complex mechanism for such an old lock.

I'd suggest it was used on a trunk, as it looks like the plate is secured by claw or hook arrangement. It could have beena sliding gate, but that would be unusual back then, plus the key only enters from one side.

The key would look like the negative of the ward plates at 8 and 10 o'clock, plus have a deep cut at two positions to avoid the two long radial wards.

For all the complexity of the mechanism, a bit of curved wire through the keyhole would likely press the detecting lever, & opened the lock.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

This is a German chest lock, probably c17C. Warded lock keys can be made by impressioning.
    Although they were originally made without lubrication, a smear of a PTFE- or lithium-based grease would help it to work more smoothly.

Thanks to everyone for your replies and responses.
    The final response seems pretty sure that it is a German chest lock.
    I can see how the key would be shaped by following the keys path when turned
    Very interesting.

Cheers,
    Alan.

Just btw, looks as though there should have been a cover plate, which is now missing. It probably carried another wheel ward.

this is not a german lock
    probably france

Hi Patent, I think I am being setup here. Since it follows the Germanic style, my guess is it was made by a German while living in Strasbourg, France. Of course you could always ship it over to me for a closer inspection. Doug

So is the lock I am holding in the picture French or German?

this lock is a complicated german (austria, suisse) chest lock, 18th century

Hi Doug. Covering all your options then. German maker working in France. I could sent the lock over to you ,however, it will cost you a first class ticket on Virgin Atlantic!
    Assuming that the lock is in fact of German origin I assume the lock in this picture is French?
    Patent.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug MacQueen View Post
    Hi Patent, I think I am being setup here. Since it follows the Germanic style, my guess is it was made by a German while living in Strasbourg, France. Of course you could always ship it over to me for a closer inspection. Doug
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lock and Key.jpg  

Thread Information