Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a German chest lock, probably c17C. Warded lock keys can be made by impressioning.
    Although they were originally made without lubrication, a smear of a PTFE- or lithium-based grease would help it to work more smoothly.

Thanks to everyone for your replies and responses.
    The final response seems pretty sure that it is a German chest lock.
    I can see how the key would be shaped by following the keys path when turned
    Very interesting.

Cheers,
    Alan.

Just btw, looks as though there should have been a cover plate, which is now missing. It probably carried another wheel ward.

this is not a german lock
    probably france

Sometimes the unpredictability on here is as amazing as everything else! Looks like no response from the OP since September 2013 until two days ago! In which time its sparked off a new start again...Brilliant!

Smile

You see,
    This is what forums are for. I've been watching for awhile (plus I had forgotten my password !!).
    Still it's interesting to see the different views given.

Cheers,
    Alan.

I' be done a little research on that lock. It is not only missing a faceplate but also the canon, the French term for the rotating keyhole barrel. As Gerry stated it is French and was used on a chest. There are several very fancy versions of this type of lock held in museums in Europe. On these, the faceplate is usually heavily pierced and have a difficult to make profile key shaft. Hopefully you have given it a good soak to remove the loose rust.

Thumbs up

Hello Doug,

Yes, sorry, but it's me again !!
    I have had a look around on the web for French 17th Century box/casket locks and have found nothing like my lock.
    Could you please tell me what you see on my lock that tells you that my lock is definitely French?
    If you have any website links you could post I would be very interested in having a look.
    Thanks very much.

Alan.

Believe me I am no expert on these locks, just basing it on the several seen in books. The French locks are rectangular in shape whereas the German typically have a curved or fan shaped end. Here are examples of a French and a German lock found in "La fidele ouverture ou l'art du serrurier". Of course you must take into consideration that since these lock styles were made over many decades, the borders of France and Germany changed over time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170303_091612.jpg   IMG_20170303_091440.jpg  

[QUOTE=Doug MacQueen;25952]Believe me I am no expert on these locks, just basing it on the several seen in books. The French locks are rectangular in shape whereas the German typically have a curved or fan shaped end. Here are examples of a French and a German lock found in "La fidele ouverture ou l'art du serrurier". Of course you must take into consideration that since these lock styles were made over many decades, the borders of France and Germany changed over time.

Hi Doug.
    So is the lock I am holding in the picture French or German?
    BTW I hope that you are keeping well.
    Regards. Patent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails French or German.jpg  

Thread Information