Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Antique Sargent Padlock real or fake?

I recently bought this Antique Sargent padlock on ebay and I got it very cheap. I am not sure if it is genuine or a fake since I got it so cheap. I have never seen this model. It is not polished, the shiny finish seems to be genuine.

Any help would be appreciated

I forgot to add the pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.Vintage Sargent Padlock.JPG   002.Vintage Sargent Padlock.JPG  

Looks like the real, common Sargent padlock from about 1910-50s

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Nickel View Post
    Looks like the real, common Sargent padlock from about 1910-50s
    Looks genuine to me, the 265U keyway, key bow shape and rectangular logo would likely indicate a manufacture date around 1940-1970.

Pete Schifferli

Default antique Sargent padlock real or fake

I have one of these in my collection, they are pretty common over here, nice that you got the BAG with it.......last I heard Walter Kidde& Co owned this mark, but things change so rapidly, that may not be true now............Donnie

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    I have one of these in my collection, they are pretty common over here, nice that you got the BAG with it.......last I heard Walter Kidde& Co owned this mark, but things change so rapidly, that may not be true now............Donnie
    That looks like the genuine article to me too. Sargent was owned by Kidde in the past but I think sold to someone else before being sold to ASSA Abloy around 1992.
    BBE.

Default antique Sargent padlock

Boy, things change so rapidly, I can't keep up...Doesn't Assa/ Abloy own over a half dozen mark's now, but have kept SOME of the original names?

Thanks for the confirmation guys :)

I am really happy that this one is genuine! I wasn't sure because I had never seen this model before. I love the bag too and it will get a special place in my collection!

Donnie: Assa Abloy actually kept most of the names but the put their name underneath the original one now. For example:

UNION
    Assa Abloy

ZEISS IKON
    Assa Abloy

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie View Post
    Boy, things change so rapidly, I can't keep up...Doesn't Assa/ Abloy own over a half dozen mark's now, but have kept SOME of the original names?
    They have kept almost all of the original names unless they just did away with the company. They own hundreds of brands now and that is why some locksmiths have taken to calling them the borg. As far as I know some of the more important names that have just disappeared are Zeiss Ikon and Chubb.
    I was the Key Records manager for their US division for ASSA, Abloy and Arrow lock companies for about three years. It is interesting that they now own every other company where I was in charge of key records with the exception of Master and American.
    BBE.

But Zeiss Ikon has kep their name, even the new locks here at my locksmiths store say

Zeiss Ikon
    Assa Abloy

http://www.ikon.de/de/site/IKON/

Thread Information