Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Milners Safe Lock

A few days ago I had to open a Milners safe. I went to the box in the back of my garage and selected this lock to take as a pattern to work to. First thing I noticed was that the key was in what would normally be the locked position but the lock was unlocked. The Locks serial No. is 185524 dating it between 1881-1882. The Lock also has a spring loaded boltstump in the bolthead which acts as a anti picking device.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_2806.JPG   100_2807.JPG   100_2808.JPG   100_2809.JPG   100_2810.JPG  

100_2814.JPG   100_2815.JPG   100_2816.JPG   100_2820.JPG  

When Milner started producing their own locks as a result of a falling out with Hobbs a number of anti-pressure designs were experimented with. This design with the pivoted bolt stump was one of a several alternative ‘anti-pressure’ locks and is generally attributed to the Boyces’. The A1 lock was Aubins’ hurriedly produced version for Milner and the ‘C’ lock is another variant.

A nice lock Ian - thanks for posting.

I had to open a safe with a lock like this Ian, (think there is a thread on the forum about it) and it was very confusing as I thought it was unlocked by the position of the key !! although it did not have the anti-tension fitted. Once opened, I found that it was reverse action

Hello Timbo. I found you're thread after I posted these pics http://www.antique-locks.com/showthr...t=Milners+Lock hope the fact it is reverse action doesn't mean your safe was open all the time. I have been to a few Ratners night safes in my time were they couldn't get the key in to open it, only to find out it was already open. All because no one ever took the key out after opening the safe so no one ever thought to actually try to see if the door was unlocked.

Ian there are similarities with this mechanisum to the Chubb detent. Do you think it suffered in the same way and could be why we dont see to many of them?

Default Milners-Safe-Lock

I have nearly the same lock. I'm not sure what Milner called it, but I refer to it as the Milner Gun Powder Proof Solid Lock. I have posted 2 images of mine including one showing the serial number. Based on the number, can anyone give me an estimate when it was made?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Milner.JPG   Milner 2.JPG  

Scott your lock is the Milner 'B' and the serial number indicates quite an early one, 1889. What is unusual about Ian's lock is the pivoted bolt stump. I have only seen that in one other Milner lock and that was in a 'B' like yours. I have put the full serial number chart in the library HERE

Default Milners-Safe-Lock

Thank you very much, Brian!

A most fascinating lock you posted there Ian. I have never seen a lock like this before. I find the levers very fascinating as they very much in a "flow" if you ask me. The fact that their springs are actually part of the lever is very interesting to look at too.

Thank you for sharing these pictures with us

Could this sort of spring mechanism wear of or loose tension after years of usage?

Thread Information