Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Restell's Patent cabinet lock

This is one I've never been able to find out much about- very average construction with a barrel and curtain and a comb spring for the 2 levers. Not sure where Restell's Patent comes into it as it has no outstanding features or noticeable differences from countless other locks of similar design. It is made to a reasonable finish though- the stump is nicely polished and a very good fit through the gatings.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Restells1.jpg   Restells2.jpg   Restells3.jpg  
    Last edited by Huw Eastwood; 10-09-13 at 08:07 PM. Reason: correction to description

Needs some oiling and cleaning, nice lock though.

The chief innovation of Thomas Restell's British patent 13,852/51 of 8 December 1851 was the disc seen here, added as an impediment to picking the lock. It is not very impressive in such a simple lock, but it was used in much more complex ones. (Also, there may be a bit lost here to wear and tear.) The Encyclopaedia Britannica, until at least 1860, in a brief sub-article on Restell's lock under "LOCKS," said "it is an improvement upon any of the locks made before 1851." Restell made quite a bit of money off the patent because it was cheap and it worked.

Might I know the exact marking, as it is illegible in the appended image?

NB I am not a lock fan, but a Restell NUT.

Thanks tbstreet, I'll dig it out and see if there are any other markings.

The disc visible on this one is simply the flange of the barrel and curtain. Restell did as you say, make more advanced versions, but on this example it is just a basic barrel and curtain which I'm pretty sure other makers were already featuring in their locks around that time, so whether he was first or not seems doubtful on the basic principle. I'll dig it out and see what it says but I think from memory it is just 'Restell's Patent'.

Good job I checked, it also says 'universal' under the Restell's Patent!

Thanks for your response, MaxV!

Restell made an awfull lot of money off the patent fror that disc for him not to have originated it. He also sent the comprtition into a frenzy of copying because it was so cheap and sold so well.

The lock illustrated in this thread is marked "RESTELL'S PATENT" in two upward arched lines, with a brand name under them in a single downward arched line. It is the brand name in which I am interested.

NB Would you like to see the contemporary Britannica article on it?

Thanks for that third line!

The 1857 Britannica article says of Restell's patented lock,"the only peculiarity of it is the addition of a disc at the bottom of the barrel in the same plane as the bolt." The bolt can only pass when a cut in the disc is directly under a tooth in the bolt. At all other times, the disc, partly within the bolt, holds it fast and prevents any pressure on the tumbler(s). "It is an improvement over any of the locks made before 1851."

Thanks again for that, I've decided this lock rightfully deserves a bit more attention than its had, so I'll delicately remove the rust from the steel and the worst of the tarnishing while leaving as much of the patina intact.

Unfortunetely the barrel and curtain is seriously worn in the cover, if it was any other lock I'd normally make an exact replica in this situation, but since the interest and importance of this lock is specifically about the barrel and curtain itself, I'll leave as it is and just cut a new key for it using a nice period antique blank.

Heres a close-up of the markings on the salvage
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	301.9 KB 
ID:	14198
    Thanks again tbstreet

Default The mystery deepens..

Well an hour or so in the workshop has revealed a couple more surprises.
    When I took the original photos I just removed the cover to show the locks simplicity, leaving the bolt in position because of the comb spring.

Removing the bolt for cleaning has revealed another mark in the case. Might be just a foundry mark for the casting, or a makers mark if made by someone else. Perhaps Restell's locks were made solely by a secondary maker in a similar manner to Joseph Duce who made the balance lever locks for Parsons?

Views:	27 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	14199

The real surprise for me is the now obvious worn groove in the top of the salvage along the line of the bolt clearly visible on the left..

Views:	21 
Size:	852.5 KB 
ID:	14200

This corresponds perfectly with the sliding action of a worn tailbar ie. safe bolt work. There's been lots of previous discussions regarding lesser known and smaller Victorian safe manufacturers using locks on their safes from the leading manufacturers like Chubb and Hobb's.

Ive encountered many in the past, but I'd say without any doubt, going from memory alone that a 4-lever lock with barrel and curtain was the minimum number of levers I'd seen.

Ive also found what appear to be both original keys, although unmarked, both are nearly 2 inches between the bow and back of the bits, so considerably longer than typical cabinet keys and adequately long enough for a typical bolt-case mounted set-up typical of the period.

If this was fitted on a safe, then a 2-lever 'safe lock' is definitely a first for me!

Views:	16 
Size:	820.5 KB 
ID:	14201

Wow! I'm very glad my interest helped you to these deeper observations and grateful for your sharing of them!

I am quite certain that Restell's locks were manufactured for him by others.

I have further observations to share, as well. Between your earlier remark as to the commonness of the basic lock type, the Britannica description of the Restell patent lock, and my studying of your initial images in light of those, I have concluded that:

1) This lock was not made under Restell's patent, as there is no sign of a second disc having interacted with the bolt. The use of "RESTELL'S PATENT" on the lock is therefore mere 19th-century marketing.

2) "UNIVERSAL" is not the brand used for Restell's patented lock -- it was sold as the "English Protector." Therefore, this lock is, indeed a mere "universal" type as you have said, the absolute bottom of the barrel for application in a safe.

Thank you so much for this discussion. I had held little hope of such a response to my inquiry.
    Last edited by tbstreet; 02-08-15 at 09:15 PM.

Thread Information