Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by MacGnG View Post
    how do you figure out the control key? been messing with this one i just got for a day or so.
    I believe that if you have an operating or master key, you could duplicate the first four cuts (5-pin ) or first five cuts (6-pin) on a new blank and then progress the tip cut one depth at a time until you find the control key bitting. If you want to take a shortcut, try the progression possibilities shown in the pdf. The control sleeve is operated by the tip cut on the key in the last pin chamber.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pschiffe View Post
    I believe that if you have an operating or master key, you could duplicate the first four cuts (5-pin ) or first five cuts (6-pin) on a new blank and then progress the tip cut one depth at a time until you find the control key bitting. If you want to take a shortcut, try the progression possibilities shown in the pdf. The control sleeve is operated by the tip cut on the key in the last pin chamber.

Pete
    After I made the above post, I found that BBE with A.J. Hoffman's excellent The Core of the Matter* on page 165 states that the tip cut for the control key will be a 7 depth for Corbin or for Russwin a 5 or 6 depending upon the keyway class.

*If anybody is interested, the book and others can be purchased from Locksoft Computer Solutions:
    http://locksoft.com/books/

Pete Schifferli

Default Reading & Emhart cores

After I made the above post, I found that BBE with A.J. Hoffman's excellent The Core of the Matter* on page 165 states that the tip cut for the control key will be a 7 depth for Corbin or for Russwin a 5 or 6 depending upon the keyway class.

*If anybody is interested, the book and others can be purchased from Locksoft Computer Solutions:
    http://locksoft.com/books/

Pete Schifferli
    I just followed the above link; I had no idea Reading ever made removable cores--could someone post a diagram or picture of one? Reading Hardware (RHCo) has been long out of business, correct? Did they even make it past the 1950's? I see Reading mortise locks on eBay all the time, but all of them are antiques. I've never seen anything remotely recent from that brand.

Since we're on the subject of Corbin cores, I have a question about the Emhart (high security) Corbin and Russwin cores--can a control key for these be cut from a standard blank? The cutouts on the bottom of the Emhart blank allow the key to pass the T on the drivers and rotate a full 360, but a control key would never turn far enough for the cutouts to come into play? And the angles in the control positions would be irrelevant as well?

I don't think you would be able to rotate a standard blank at all even if you could get the cuts to match up.

there are several places online that sell new emhart blanks in a variety of keyways but expect to pay about $15 a piece.

Quote Originally Posted by YALE7750 View Post
    I just followed the above link; I had no idea Reading ever made removable cores--could someone post a diagram or picture of one? Reading Hardware (RHCo) has been long out of business, correct? Did they even make it past the 1950's? I see Reading mortise locks on eBay all the time, but all of them are antiques. I've never seen anything remotely recent from that brand.
    BBE and A.J. Hoffman's book has several pages (239-241) devoted to the patented Reading removable cylinder. The material is copyright 2013 by the authors thus I'm not at liberty to reproduce it. BBE is a member here and might see this and possibly post those images. I can however direct you to U.S. Patent 1,855,607 of April 26, 1932. Some info can also be found in Laurie Simon's article "Take a Ride on the Reading" originally published in The Locksmith Ledger at this link:
    http://www.simon-says.net/members/lds3m/vt_ride_the_reading_pdf.htm

According to Locks and Lockmakers of America by Thomas F. Hennessy, the Reading Hardware Co. was in business from 1852-1940.

Pete Schifferli

BBE and A.J. Hoffman's book has several pages (239-241) devoted to the patented Reading removable cylinder. The material is copyright 2013 by the authors thus I'm not at liberty to reproduce it. BBE is a member here and might see this and possibly post those images.
    Pete Schifferli
    Here is the best image. The book is for sale at the Locksoft web site, www.locksoft.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reading.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by BBE View Post
    Here is the best image. The book is for sale at the Locksoft web site, www.locksoft.com
    Thanks for the pic! I've been looking for a book like this with pictures and info on "OLD" ICs for a while!

Definitely gonna get a copy next time I place an order!

Thread Information