Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It has occurred to me that the choice of lock here might have been determined by limitations of space, rather than cost per se.
    Last edited by tbstreet; 02-08-15 at 09:44 PM.

As perhaps if the safe door proper were thin and faced with a disguise, say ornate oak...

Yes I think you're spot on with the 'mere 19th century marketing' tbstreet. It's obvious lack of any additional features is what aroused my curiosity and suspicions originally, as like you say it hasn't got the interaction between the curtain and the bolt.
    I can usually spot post patent copies and fakes from 1000 yards, (well, make that 12 inches!), and especially the more common ones like Bramah. Have to admit this one had me stumped, as it's the only lock I've ever encountered marked Restell's, and haven't seen anything else for reference or comparison. Like you said I also agree it's just another copy with the Restell's mark on it. Nice lock and something a bit different, but not the pedigree I wish it was!

Thanks again for all your time and input, I've enjoyed the discussion as well- perhaps one day I'll come across a full 6 or 8 lever Restell with the full monty on the curtain and bolt...

Default Help identifying Restell lock

I am attempting to determine the manufacture date (approximate) for a Restell lock on an antique wooden wine cellarette. the markings on the lock shown in this thread are similar, but mine says Restell patent prize not Restell patent universal. Any information regarding this lock, its maker or an estimate on when it was made would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lock.JPG   lock2.JPG  

Very nice! That's the first example of a Restell's Box lock I've seen.
    The member tbstreet pointed out that his patent locks were sold as the English Protector, and yours also looks to have quite a few levers in it from what little can be seen through the apertures in the salvage.

Very interesting lock, hopefully tbstreet will see this as they seem to be pretty rare and this might just make his day!

Max,

Thank you for the fast reply. At first I thought this might be a lock made by Alfred Charles Hobbs based on the lion and unicorn hallmark shown on the far right and the "Protector" designation. I can find almost no information online regarding antique Restell locks. I am curious to know if this is American or English and also when it may have been produced. My guess is around 1850.
    Also I have no key. Is there any chance of replacing the missing key?

Again, thank you for taking the time to reply and comment.

Regarding the use of a barrel and curtain, I just made a quick scan through the English lock patents granted prior and after the 1851 Lock Controversy. I found nothing notable during the 1840's, but several came in during 1851 including Robt. Newell # 13,595 April 15, 1851, for "a revolving circular curtain", Parnell #13,806 Nov 6, 1851, for "a revolving cap", Sinclair #13,807 Nov 13, 1851, for " the application of revolving rings , curtains or guards", Restell #13,852 Dec 8, 1851, for "a cylindrical curtain or guard, combined with a circular plate or shield", and Hobbs #13,985 Feb 23, 1852, for " a movable curtain or revolving chamber". Not having the drawings for these patents, it is difficult to determine exactly what is being described. The barrel existed long before the English patent laws, so only the curtain was a new device. Restell may have been the only one combining the two ideas as one part, and if true, that could explain his making money from his patent claims. I don't think his other claim, noted in the Britannica, of having a lower disc directly blocking the bolt, became popular enough to make any serious money, based on my limited experience with older English key locks.

I can't believe this has slipped through our nets unnoticed- lock No: 26 on the legendary Aubin Trophy, built for the 1851 Great Exhibition by the man himself, Charles Aubin, apparently is his own lock from 1830 which includes a revolving curtain to shut off the keyhole when the key is turned..

Thread Information