Welcome to our world exploring the Historical, Political and Technological aspects of Locks, Keys and Safes

Default Barron's Patent box lock with key

Hats off to Robert Barron- I don't think he ever receives the credit he deserves! His idea and patent of 1774 may have been an unusual solution to what later progressed on to be the norm, but his idea produced an interesting lock which needed cuts both correctly positioned on the key-bit and cut to the correct heights in order to work. An unusual idea and a massive leap forward at the time, which for me makes him an All Time Great! Original condition lock with a more recent copied key.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Barrons1.jpg   Barrons2.jpg  

Barron! I still need a nice one for my collection and have not seen one yet. At least not that I recall. I visited a fellow lock collector here in Germany last year and he had many rare locks, maybe I saw one there but I am not sure. I would love to have one myself though

Very, very, nice lock and a great asset to have in your collection. I'm envious

Cheers Timbo - I agree with you there- I think it's way up in my Top 3

Any idea on dating these? I've just snagged a rather marvellous specimen. Very large wards which occlude the 2 tumblers rather well. Shoots vertical up. No royals mentioned, so possibly quite early, though the workmanship is excellent. I'll post some pictures later on.

Thread Information